Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay Jesus play angers Australian church leaders

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Gay Jesus play angers Australian church leaders

Advertisements

I personally think it's extremely humorous....but A LOT won't.

Be kind.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080121/stage_nm/jesus_dc

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A controversial play that depicts Jesus being seduced by Judas and conducting a gay marriage for two apostles has been condemned by church leaders ahead of its opening in Sydney.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Anglican Bishop of South Sydney, Robert Forsyth, expressed his outrage at the plot of "Corpus Christi" on Sunday, calling the play "historical nonsense."

"It is deliberately, not innocently, offensive and they're obviously having a laugh about it," he told the Sun-Herald newspaper. "I wouldn't want to go and see it. Life's too short."

Set to open on February 7 as part of Sydney's annual Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras festival, "Corpus Christi" depicts Jesus and his followers as gay, and ends with Jesus being crucified.

Despite critical acclaim, the play provoked protests and bomb threats when it was performed in the United States.

Playwright Terrence McNally received a death edict, or fatwa, from a UK-based Islamic group, which declared it blasphemous when the play ran in London in 1999.

McNally, who is gay, has said he wrote the piece to explore parallels between Christ's persecution and the rejection he faced as a young gay man growing up in Texas.

Sydney Mardi Gras organizers describe it on the festival Web site as "a play that speaks out against inhumanity by providing a witty, contemporary interpretation of Jesus' life" . Director Leigh Romney, who is staging the work in Australia, rejected accusations the play mocks Christ.

Rowney said that as a Christian himself, he was keen to provoke debate.

"I wanted this play in the hands of a Christian person like myself to give it dignity but still open it up to answering questions about Christianity as a faith system," Rowney said.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Sorry, gotta add myself to the "extremely humorous" side.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Here is my opinion on it... And I am NOT saying this just to get anyone riled up. I totally think Jesus WOULD have performed a gay marriage. And, he did walk around with 12 GUYS all the time, and a lot of churches think he never got married or had children. So, is gay really that far of a stretch? He hung out with lepers, prostitutes, criminals, the sick, the disabled... all of the outcasts of society. I think based on his actions and his whole philosophy, Jesus probably loved gay people.
  4. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    I think its interesting that the play couldn't even be performed in America because people got violent over it. And I think its hilarious the church guy called it "historical nonsense"! WTF, the BIBLE is historical nonsense - its FICTION.

I always think its hilarious when people get all MAD and serious about who has the best imaginary friend.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think it's stupid and done just for the newsworthy-ness of it
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    the hypocrisy of it all kills me.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalacrap View Post
    I think its interesting that the play couldn't even be performed in America because people got violent over it. And I think its hilarious the church guy called it "historical nonsense"! WTF, the BIBLE is historical nonsense - its FICTION.

I always think its hilarious when people get all MAD and serious about who has the best imaginary friend.
    Well, what is obvious to you and I...would not be obvious to a church guy. They don't view it as FICTION...they view it as a history book.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    i think it's stupid and done just for the newsworthy-ness of it
    I doubt that. Australia has a very progressive view on gays, especially when it comes to religion. Being gay is accepted in their society. So really, the people who threaten to BOMB people who put on a play are the ones looking for some media attention.
  9. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    I know they don't view it that way, but thats why its so funny. They act like EVERYONE should agree that the bible is historical truth. Which first of all, everyone can't even agree that the Earth is round for goodness sakes, so why everyone should believe some guy named Noah lived until he was 400 and had an ark is beyond me.

But even so if I made a play about how the Earth is flat no one would get pissed off about it, everyone would just think I'm a tard.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I doubt that. Australia has a very progressive view on gays, especially when it comes to religion. Being gay is accepted in their society. So really, the people who threaten to BOMB people who put on a play are the ones looking for some media attention.
    while that may be i don't know it just seems like it was even "attempted" here in the states to cause a stir
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast