Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Religion

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    I'm Catholic, chose to be baptized on my own at 17 after taking the classes. However, in the past 2-3 yrs, I haven't exactly been good about practicing my religion so I feel like a hypocrite if I go to church. I do still pray to God and TRY to be the best person I can be, but I have diverted a lot b/c of the choices I have made. I feel I have good core values b/c of it though.

Once him and I are married, I'll feel a lot better. I wish we could be married now but I'm not running to a court house as we want something special and that takes planning (and money). We do go to church when we remember, which we need to be better about, and we have talked about doing a bible study together & becoming invovled in the parish community in the near future. He also tends to choose friends that are more on the same level as him... Rather than someone who drinks a lot, parties, family isn't #1, etc.

I'd like our kids to grow up as Catholics, but when they are mature enough to make the decision on their own, they are free to practice another faith. I don't agree with EVERYTHING the Catholic church says, either.

ETA: I chose to be bapitzed Catholic at that age b/c I had grown up exposed to that religion. I also went to the Christian churches, but didn't like them b/c I felt they were too "jolly". I liked the seriousness of the Catholic church during mass. I feel it's more about God and I, not God and all my neighbors which is how I feel Christian churches practice.
    Last edited by Rach; 03-30-2006 at 11:01 AM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&D
    Well, I say that when your father, husband and brothers have the right to stone you for some offense, then YEAH, it's discrimination.
    Cultural differences can amount to discrimination, they're not mutually exclusive concepts.
    Like I said, I appreciate that not all culturallly seeded biases agaisnt women are required by religious texts, but most religions, when practiced in a conservative and fundamentalist manner, somehow almost always manage to provide the fertalizer so to speak for the growth of discrimination against women. Cultural practices don't just drop out of the sky. I realize Islam is not the only religion which has this effect (as I mentioned before) but it certainly seems to have the most powerful one.

As for the superiority, I know every religion considers itself the one. I was refering to it's practicioners, in particular those who insist on telling everyone around them they will not be "saved" if they are not born again or some such. They can think it till they turn bluse in the face. I do not aspire to be the thought police. I only have objections to people's beliefs when they turn into actions that limit the rights of others (including the right not to listen to their beliefs about the state of my soul).
    Where are you getting your information from?

A lot of stuff happens that's done in the name of a religion, whilst having no basis in the religion itself, so i dont really think religious belief comes into it. Its just that some people are intolerent idiots. And that happens everywhere. For example, Bush used Christianity to wage war on Iraq - who is he to say Christianity condones that kind of action?
  3. Senior Member
    My main points:

1. The way people interpret religion shapes the culutre in a huge way.

(Religion has helped form british culutre and culutre in Iran and every other place on earth but it has a whole lot more influence in Iran, where law is based directly on religion, or at least on the current interpretation of it.)

2. The way people interpret religion is never based solely on the exact words of the Bible, Koran, whatever.

3. Any religion, when it is practiced in a fundamentalist way, seems to result in an environment that discriminates against women.

4. Places where fundamentalist Islam is the main religion seem to be places where the culture is most repressive to women.

5. There are not many Muslim cultures around these days that do not resort to a fundamentalist practice of that faith (there are the Balkans for example).

What exactly is new or controversial in those statements??? I never said Islam in itself was evil.

The only place my personal opinion comes into play is when I say:

-the way Islam has been interpreted and practiced in so many places IS offensive to me.
    -that I don't respect fundamentalist religion of any sort. This is largely because I am a woman and because I believe in equality.

I don't have any imperialist goals here. I have no desire to go and change those other culutres. They (religious fundamentalists, including those in the US) can do as they want as long as it does not restrict the legal rights of women in this society.

I am liberal in most of my views, I love to travel, I really do appreciate diversity.
    I am pretty relativist but even my relativism ends somewhere. Some things ARE wrong.

And yes Bush's (and every other American president's) version of christianity has influenced his politics. His version of Christianity does condone his politics. Why do you think that little strip of land called Israel is such a big part of American foreign policy as opposed to say, that little strip of land called Jamaica? May have something to do with Jesus and all that? I didn't think of this on my own, either. Articles have been written about it.
    Last edited by Me&D; 03-31-2006 at 11:25 AM.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&D
    My main points:

1. The way people interpret religion shapes the culutre in a huge way.

(Religion has helped form british culutre and culutre in Iran and every other place on earth but it has a whole lot more influence in Iran, where law is based directly on religion, or at least on the current interpretation of it.)

2. The way people interpret religion is never based solely on the exact words of the Bible, Koran, whatever.

3. Any religion, when it is practiced in a fundamentalist way, seems to result in an environment that discriminates against women.

4. Places where fundamentalist Islam is the main religion seem to be places where the culture is most repressive to women.

5. There are not many Muslim cultures around these days that do not resort to a fundamentalist practice of that faith (there are the Balkans for example).

What exactly is new or controversial in those statements??? I never said Islam in itself was evil.

The only place my personal opinion comes into play is when I say:

-the way Islam has been interpreted and practiced in so many places IS offensive to me.
    -that I don't respect fundamentalist religion of any sort. This is largely because I am a woman and because I believe in equality.

I don't have any imperialist goals here. I have no desire to go and change those other culutres. They (religious fundamentalists, including those in the US) can do as they want as long as it does not restrict the legal rights of women in this society.

I am liberal in most of my views, I love to travel, I really do appreciate diversity.
    I am pretty relativist but even my relativism ends somewhere. Some things ARE wrong.

And yes Bush's (and every other American president's) version of christianity has influenced his politics. His version of Christianity does condone his politics. Why do you think that little strip of land called Israel is such a big part of American foreign policy as opposed to say, that little strip of land called Jamaica? May have something to do with Jesus and all that? I didn't think of this on my own, either. Articles have been written about it.
    I dont agree. There are other countries that have different religious backgrounds that are very opressive to women. Take Japan, for example. The religion in Japan is Shinto Buddhism, though it's not very widely practised. The women there are legally seen as a finanical asset. Say, for example, if I wife is caught cheating, the husband can sue the other man for his finanical deficit. Women are not expected to have a job, unless it's secreterial or administritive work, and they're expected to quit after marriage to look after the home.

Then there's India, which has no dominant religion. There, women are regarded as such a big liability that parents now check the sex of a foetus before deciding whether to carry on with the pregnancy. Girls there are expected to dress appropriately, get appropriate jobs etc. Once they marry, they're passed over to the groom's side of the family to look after them. Many are killed just for the dowry - after marriage the bride is murdered and the groom is free to search for another bride.

I agree that oppression is very wrong, I'm just putting the point across that it's not entirely based on religion and it's not localised to Iran. I never said that your statements were new or controversial, I'm merely inferring that they may be a little inaccurate.

Yes some branches of Islam are fundamentalist and yes, some of them are based in the Middle East, but you could say the same thing of Christianity in America. I dont think it's fair to write of an entire religion because of it's fundamentalist groups.
  5. Senior Member
    I didn't say the only oppressive (to women) cultures were those where Islam is the main religion but they certainly are among the very worst.

Thanks for a good debate but I've grown tired of this argument.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I was raised in a Baptist church, and even after my mom stopped going when I was a teenager, I continued to go.

I have a very strong faith in the Lord, and I don't think there is anything that could shake that.

I want my child raised in church. I will never push anything on her, but I think it is important that she go in order to learn. If she chooses to believe other things later in life, that is her choice. But I pray that I am able to lay down a good foundation for her in the church.

My husband has been in a church twice. Once when he was younger and once with me. He knows quite a bit about the Bible, but has a hard time believing. We are trying to find a church that we both like, even though we haven't taken a lot of time to look. He has the desire to learn more though and has a book he is about to start reading a Bible of his own now!
  7. Senior Member
    My mother was the only parent i have ever known and she did very well raising me with religion. My mother said to go by the Bible. And if God talks to me and i feel inside that "this is what i believe" then to go with it. She told me to question what i didn't know and to have an open heart. I have been to so many different churches with and without my mother so i could see what i believed in and what "fits" me better. I do not believe to jump on a religion and say "your wrong and your going to hell" exspecially without "knowing" that religion. Educate yourself on the different religions before ever throwing stones.
    I'm Christian. There are too many denominations in Christianity to say which type of christian i am. I just believe in God, and his son as my savior and that there is a Heaven and a hell and everyone can be forgiven of their sins if they confess truely to the Lord.
    Religion is a touchy subject and i'm always willing to learn about one religion or another.
    The churches i have been to is..

7 different denominations of Christianity
    Sevinth Day adventist (or something rather)
    Mormon church
    2 different Jahova witness churches
    2 Catholic churches
    And 1 non denominational church

I have studied about Wicka (sp) and about Jewish religion but would ALWAYS love to learn more..

And after studing and going to different churches i can truely say i believe two of the churches i mentioned i went to are deffinetly cult related and scares the SHIT out of me!
  8. Lilithdrff
    What are your thoughts on religion? I believe some sort of faith is an important and healthy thing to have. However, I think being overly religious, to the point of fanaticism is not good for the mind.

Do you practice a faith? Yes I do.

Do you see religions as cults? Yeah, I do. However, trying to be politically correct, I call them Organized faith groups.

Do you feel that all religions should be treated equally? Absolutely. Respect for all religions and belief systems is one of the most important things in my book, after all, look at all the millions of people who have died through known time due to religious prosecution. I believe that if people just learned to respect and accept that we're not all created equal, and we all can/should have our own personal faith, we would all be better for it.

Does your faith have doctrines or beliefs that you don't necessarily believe in? No, my personal beliefs are exactly what I want them to be, and nothing is out of place, or in disagreement.

Do you practice your religion? Yes, as best as I possibly can.

Forgot to add: I was born and raised Catholic, and to this day I still have a certain fondness for the Catholic faith. I am now a practicing Pagan, most people would reffer to what I believe in as Wicca, but I don't really like labeling my personal beliefs, and some of my practice doesn't fit into the realm of Wicca. I like to think of myself as purely Solitary Eclectic Pagan, I base my faith around the earth, and energies which are in everything, and of course, Karma.
    Last edited by Lilithdrff; 04-02-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345