Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Religion

  1. happygirl0486
    Guest
    happygirl0486's Avatar
    Guest
    #31
    Advertisements
    to me it is optional I follow my faith on my own.
  2. Senior Member
    Me&D's Avatar
    Me&D is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    779
    #32
    I was also raised Catholic but am not religious anymore. Still, that religion holds a certain comfort for me: I don't go to mass on sundays but I actually enjoy the sights, sound, smells, and the whole ritual when I join my family in church on christmas, easter or some special function like a wedding or a christening.

    I don't respect all religions equally. I would never write off someone because they were of a particular religion.

    Still (and may sound strange coming from a liberal) l gotta say I have absolutely no respect for any kind of religion when it is taken to an extreme and the believer becomes self righteous, hurts others, or (even worse) tries to tell me my soul is lost if I don't believe as they do. I have no time for that crap.

    I also have no respect for religions which encourage the persecution of women. This would include Islam as it is practiced in the middle east. I realize we could debate until the morning about what the Koran really says and means, and I realize that there are moderate "modernized" Muslims who don't discriminate against women but I am speaking of the faith as it is practiced in that part of the world. Of course I would include fundamentalist Christianity in that group of religions discriminating against women.

    I really am open minded and respect cultures different from my own but NOT ones that try to tell half the human race it is inferior.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sophie*'s Avatar
    Sophie* is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,220
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&D
    I was also raised Catholic but am not religious anymore. Still, that religion holds a certain comfort for me: I don't go to mass on sundays but I actually enjoy the sights, sound, smells, and the whole ritual when I join my family in church on christmas, easter or some special function like a wedding or a christening.

    I don't respect all religions equally. I would never write off someone because they were of a particular religion.

    Still (and may sound strange coming from a liberal) l gotta say I have absolutely no respect for any kind of religion when it is taken to an extreme and the believer becomes self righteous, hurts others, or (even worse) tries to tell me my soul is lost if I don't believe as they do. I have no time for that crap.

    I also have no respect for religions which encourage the persecution of women. This would include Islam as it is practiced in the middle east. I realize we could debate until the morning about what the Koran really says and means, and I realize that there are moderate "modernized" Muslims who don't discriminate against women but I am speaking of the faith as it is practiced in that part of the world. Of course I would include fundamentalist Christianity in that group of religions discriminating against women.

    I really am open minded and respect cultures different from my own but NOT ones that try to tell half the human race it is inferior.

    I think just about every religion thinks it is 'THE' religion, so by default all others would be inferior or wrong. As for Islam, practices vary in the Middle East, as well as the rest of the world. Iraq has the most liberal of Islamic practices in the Middle East.

    It is frequently argued that Islam is not a religion that provides for full equity among Muslims. Indeed, because Islam makes distinctions between men and women; not all rights and privileges available to men are available to women. For example, a male Muslim inherits twice the share of the female, but then a male relative has the financial responsibility to care for a needy female relative. Also, a male Muslim has the right to unilaterally divorce his wife, while she can only divorce her husband through a judge's determination. Custody of children from a divorce is given the mother, boys till age 9 and girls till age 12. Thereafter custody reverts to the father, provided that he is fit. However, the fact that there is not absolute parity in all rights and privileges does not mean that women do not share an overall equality with men. It must also be noted that certain social practices in some Muslim countries are not required by Islam, but have simply evolved in the course of time as a result of indigenous cultural factors.
    (taken from http://www.mideasti.org/indepth/islam/introislam.htm)

    What you may see as discrimination may simply be a difference in culture. Who are we to say which culture/ religion is right?
  4. Account Closed
    *Dawn*'s Avatar
    *Dawn* is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    #34
    I grew up in a household where religion wasn't talked about even though my mom was catholic. My dad has never belonged to a church and still doesn't. So after I was out of the house for a few years i started to find my own religion and I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That was back in 96. I'm not very active in the church right now but I still believe in the church. As for my fmaily Adam is catholic and aaron isn't a member of any church because we can agree on a happy medium for him. So for the time being Aaron is learning about both churches and when hes old enough to make a decission he can.
  5. KevzQueen
    Guest
    KevzQueen's Avatar
    Guest
    #35
    I'm glad you opened this. I have been thinking about making one, but I'm very bad at putting things in writing. I agree with what Jyll said. She wrote how I feel. I'll just add a little.

    I don't believe in God. I went to church when I was younger. It was a Methodist church. Honestly, I went just to get out of the house (another story). I didn't pay attention though, and we never talked about religion at home.
    I'm glad that all this info about believing a certain thing wasn't put into my head. I prefer to make this decision on my own. A couple of my sisters have looked at me in disbelief when I told them that I don't believe in God. They can't tell me why they do. They just do. I don't just do things. I need to see things.
    I think that people may believe in it to have some sort of answer about things, somewhere to go in times of need. I haven't read the Bible past the very beginning of Genesis when I was in UMYF (youth group), but it's very very hard for me to believe the things they mention.
    If I did believe in God or just some higher being, why does it have to be down to a religion? Why isn't the proof there so we can all believe the same thing? I'm just like a kid wondering why the sky is blue with this topic, I guess. I've just been really thinking about this alot lately.
  6. Chrissie
    Guest
    Chrissie's Avatar
    Guest
    #36
    I was not raised religous in any way until I was 11 years old then we were taught southern baptist in the foster home we lived in for 4 years. WHen I was 16 I got baptised into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This was purely my decision and no one had any affect on my decision. 7 years later I am still very active in church and always will be. I have a testimony of the church and I believe that Christ died for our sins and that he is the son of God.
  7. Chrissie
    Guest
    Chrissie's Avatar
    Guest
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by KevzQueen
    I'm glad you opened this. I have been thinking about making one, but I'm very bad at putting things in writing. I agree with what Jyll said. She wrote how I feel. I'll just add a little.

    I don't believe in God. I went to church when I was younger. It was a Methodist church. Honestly, I went just to get out of the house (another story). I didn't pay attention though, and we never talked about religion at home.
    I'm glad that all this info about believing a certain thing wasn't put into my head. I prefer to make this decision on my own. A couple of my sisters have looked at me in disbelief when I told them that I don't believe in God. They can't tell me why they do. They just do. I don't just do things. I need to see things.
    I think that people may believe in it to have some sort of answer about things, somewhere to go in times of need. I haven't read the Bible past the very beginning of Genesis when I was in UMYF (youth group), but it's very very hard for me to believe the things they mention.
    If I did believe in God or just some higher being, why does it have to be down to a religion? Why isn't the proof there so we can all believe the same thing? I'm just like a kid wondering why the sky is blue with this topic, I guess. I've just been really thinking about this alot lately.
    this is what I think...

    the reason we dont have proof of this is b/c we were sent here to be tested in life and have free agency to make decisions and not be forced into learning things and doing things. If we had a solid material and touchable proof that there is a God, that would make it to easy and there really wouldnt be a test in life. I dont understand why everything is like it is but I believe that when our bodies die we will understand a lot more. I believe that another reason we are here is to receive bodies for our spirits to go through trials, to understand pain and happiness...
  8. Senior Member
    Me&D's Avatar
    Me&D is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    779
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda780
    I think just about every religion thinks it is 'THE' religion, so by default all others would be inferior or wrong. As for Islam, practices vary in the Middle East, as well as the rest of the world. Iraq has the most liberal of Islamic practices in the Middle East.

    (taken from http://www.mideasti.org/indepth/islam/introislam.htm)

    What you may see as discrimination may simply be a difference in culture. Who are we to say which culture/ religion is right?

    Well, I say that when your father, husband and brothers have the right to stone you for some offense, then YEAH, it's discrimination.
    Cultural differences can amount to discrimination, they're not mutually exclusive concepts.
    Like I said, I appreciate that not all culturallly seeded biases agaisnt women are required by religious texts, but most religions, when practiced in a conservative and fundamentalist manner, somehow almost always manage to provide the fertalizer so to speak for the growth of discrimination against women. Cultural practices don't just drop out of the sky. I realize Islam is not the only religion which has this effect (as I mentioned before) but it certainly seems to have the most powerful one.

    As for the superiority, I know every religion considers itself the one. I was refering to it's practicioners, in particular those who insist on telling everyone around them they will not be "saved" if they are not born again or some such. They can think it till they turn bluse in the face. I do not aspire to be the thought police. I only have objections to people's beliefs when they turn into actions that limit the rights of others (including the right not to listen to their beliefs about the state of my soul).
  9. Senior Member
    Teresa's Avatar
    Teresa is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,674
    #39
    My husband and I are both LDS (Mormon). We discussed it and studied it together and decided that we wanted to raise our children in the church. We were baptised into the church in July 04. Dh grew up in the church but was never baptised into it so I figured it had to be a good church. However, something has changed his mind about the church and he says he only joined it with me so I would have a support group when he is not around. Now we attend a Christian church on Saturdays and the LDS church on Sundays. I feel like I'm leading two separate lives!!! Now that my daughter is getting older she is asking more questions about church and seems to enjoy both. I just hope and pray that she doesn't get confused by the different beliefs between the LDS church and a Christian church. Personally I feel like quitting both churches at times but there are positives and negatives about each church. Some day I hope to find my "dream church"!!
  10. Chrissie
    Guest
    Chrissie's Avatar
    Guest
    #40
    Its good that you and your husband support eachother. LDS are christians though...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •