Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    I think it is hard to follow or completely believe in a religion regardless as to which path you take. All religions have certain doctrines & rules you have to follow or risk being shunned, in a way.

I've always wondered why people choose certain paths. Is it because you grew up in that religion with your family? Or did you choose that on your own? If you did choose your religion, what made you accept that path?

Do you ever wonder if what you chose, is really the "right" way?
  2. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra
    Is it because you grew up in that religion with your family? Or did you choose that on your own? If you did choose your religion, what made you accept that path?

Do you ever wonder if what you chose, is really the "right" way?
    I grew up in a Christian household.

I chose my own path.

I chose this way, because like Jyll, I think there is no definite proof of god/religion.

Yes, I wonder if this is the right way of thinking. But unless I'm shown absolute proof, then I will continue to believe what I do.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have a lot of friends and family of different religions - catholic, mormon, buddhist, jewish and hindu. Most of them followed the religion of their family - that's what they were brought up to believe. It starts of as a social thing - they follow what their friends and family do, but as they grow up they begin to believe it themselves. A staggering amount of people aren't educated about other religions until at least in their teens, if at all. So they just follow what they know.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda780
    A staggering amount of people aren't educated about other religions until at least in their teens, if at all. So they just follow what they know.
    That is so true! I was not raised in a religion. I always loved learning about other religions. I attended different churches of different faiths & asked a lot of questions. It took me about 15 years to decide where I felt like I belonged. And even know, I am still on my spiritual journey.
  5. happygirl0486
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyll216
    Well, im agnostic.. i grew up catholic and in catholic schools and.. christmas gifts were bibles. I guess i just.. was so forced into believing what my family does, that i couldn't believe what i was hearing..

When i turned 14.. i decided i wasn't going to believe in anything until i saw proof! I refuse to let myself be led by something that i have no idea exists.. and no idea that it is "correct".. And from that day.. i am waiting until i have some confimation of a "higher power" or "god" before i let myself follow or believe in it. That's just me.
    that's how I feel, though my family didn't force me to believe. My grandma was catholic but didn't force it on me my dad used to belive but then when I had to be in a wheelchair he started to wonder "if there is a God how could he let this happen?" I've tried for years to belive in the bible but it doesn't feel real to me.

My mom was a witch and did spells and the like so to feel closer to her(she left when I was around 10) I started to look into it and I foud that beliving in the earth and Karma made sense to me, my DH is very understanding about it(one of the many reasons I love him).

If something was to happen that made the bible feel more real to me then I would give it another try but for right now I can't force myself to belive in something that doesn't make me feel anything in my heart.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    happygirl0486~So do you identify with any particular path? Like Wicca or Paganism?
  7. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    well, i'm christian and attend a church of christ. i believe in one God and that Jesus is his son. but after watching kingdom of heaven there was a quote in there that really expressed how i feel about religion in general...

Hospitaller: I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here.
    [points to head]
    Hospitaller: And here.
    [points to heart]
    Hospitaller: And by what you decide to do eveyday, will make you a good man... or not.

i get tired of denominations and their rules that they say you need to follow to be saved, of people saying God wants this or that, etc. i really believe that Jesus make it pretty plain and simple and that people complicate such a simple thing with religion.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    That is an awesome quote! And Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite movies! Orlando Bloom is HOT!
  9. happygirl0486
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra
    happygirl0486~So do you identify with any particular path? Like Wicca or Paganism?
    I follow Wicca and karma.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl0486
    I follow Wicca and karma.
    When you are a Wiccan, do you have to go to covens? Or is that optional?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast