Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Slow Cooker Prep Question!

1. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries

Slow Cooker Prep Question!

Advertisements
    So, if I were to prep a few days worth of crock pot recipes, would I freeze them or refrigerate them?
    I've never done this in advance before. My plan is to prep meals for Tuesday-Friday on Monday. Is it safe to just refrigerate them? If not, and if I freeze them, do I need to take extra time into account when cooking? Or would I thaw in advance?

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless. I rarely buy meats to freeze, I like to go from refrigerator to oven/crockpot/stove, so I don't know how this works!

TIA
  2. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Check some recipes! Some ask for it to be thawed before putting into the crock pot- I wouldn't freeze those.
  3. Senior Member
    If you are going to cook it within a week you can just put them in the fridge. I typically freeze everything for the month and then defrost the night before I cook the meal.
  4. Senior Member
    I freeze mine, and depending on the meal defrost the night before or throw it in frozen.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

if theres meat i would freeze it haha I'm weird about meat being in the fridge for more than like 2 days. just take it out the night before to defrost it.
  6. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    if theres meat i would freeze it haha I'm weird about meat being in the fridge for more than like 2 days. just take it out the night before to defrost it.
    Im there with you. If theres meat I freeze it. Take out the night before.
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you are freezing a lot of hot food at once, you want to put it into an ice bath first to get the temperture down. Put the container of food into a sink or pot with water and ice. Otherwise it stays too long outside the "safe zone" temps, and putting hot food in the freezer initially warms the freezer up before it begins to cool it again. This is especially true for meat.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    If you are freezing a lot of hot food at once, you want to put it into an ice bath first to get the temperture down. Put the container of food into a sink or pot with water and ice. Otherwise it stays too long outside the "safe zone" temps, and putting hot food in the freezer initially warms the freezer up before it begins to cool it again. This is especially true for meat.
    This is the same reason why you aren't supposed to put frozen stuff in the crock pot, too long at an unsafe temp.