Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crock Pot Apple Pie

1. Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born
    Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born

Crock Pot Apple Pie

Advertisements
    This is an old recipe my grandma used to make us when we were kids....she never told us her secret, but memories are strong, and I think I have it just about right!

This varies on your crock pot size: mine is a small model, so you may add apples and brown sugar to make your size fit!

When it comes to the apples, you want to slice enough so there is just about half a pot full of them (bite size pieces!) and I added a cup of brown sugar...you want about two to three inches of that sugary sweetness!

You can make your own vanilla cake mix (there are tons online that you can pick from), or you can be like me (I'm lazy...lol) and use a store bought vanilla cake mix (white cake mix, vanilla, pineapple....just about anything goes with apples.)

Put the apples in first, make sure they're just about level before you put in your brown sugar. Pour in about one cup of brown sugar (remember, my crock pot is itty bitty, so if yours is bigger you may need to up this to about 2 cups) You want about 2 inches of brown sugar.
    If you like, you can stir this so it coats the apples: I don't because I love the taste of the brown sugar layer by itself (I have a sweet tooth)

Make your cake mix according to directions, and add an extra spoon full of vanilla: just don't bake.
    Next, dump your cake mix on top of the apples.

Here's the important part: don't stir the cake mix with apple and brown sugar layers, it doesn't come out quite the same.

Put it on low, and let it cook for about 3-4 hours. It should have some apple bits floating, and some of the cake mix baked...now you can stir and get some of that apple goodness!

Side Note:
    I accidentally put it on high once and let it cook for about 2 hours (I wanted it fast, what can I say? lol) Well, the cake mix fully cooked and it was....well, nasty. It tasted like dry nasty yuckiness with apple bits.
    You want this to have a couple cooked cake bits but some of the running cake mix too (no worries, its fully cooked, remember? ) It doesn't look pretty...but it sure does taste good!

DH loves this recipe just as much as I do! I hope you enjoy it too!
    Last edited by Kearuneh; 06-21-2011 at 07:58 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This sounds really good. Might be a try for me at a potluck.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Sounds delicious!
  4. AMD
    don't stir the cake mix
    By that, do you mean dump in the powder mix and then the eggs/oil/water/whatever in on top, but don't make a batter?

This sounds delicious though. I'll definitely have to try this sometime. My DH would love it, I think.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sounds like you make the cake mix up as directed; then, dump on top. don't mix into the apples.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. AMD
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Sounds like you make the cake mix up as directed; then, dump on top. don't mix into the apples.
    Ok, that makes more sense (and is how I would've done it anyways ).
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by AMD View Post
    Ok, that makes more sense (and is how I would've done it anyways ).
  8. Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born
    Bleeding Red, White, And Blue Since The Day I was Born
    Thanks DakotaCowgirl, that is what I meant.
  9. BeachGrl210
    BeachGrl210

I can't wait to try this! It sounds awesome... thanks for sharing!
  10. Senior Member
    I'll have to try this one for sure. I bet it would be good with spice cake batter too...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast