Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wireless/Tether to your computer from iPhone

1. Senior Member

Wireless/Tether to your computer from iPhone

Advertisements
    Read if you want wireless internet for $30 A YEAR using your iPhone's data connection!

So, I came across this article: HERE, and it was talking about an app/program you can buy for $30/year (Only $15/year during its premiere week, I think it's still going on), and you can use your provider phone connection (3G/4G) to tether wireless internet to your computer, anywhere, anytime. As long as you have service, you should be able to get wireless.

Read the whole article to learn about it if you're interested. I just wanted to let everyone know. I bought it yesterday, and it was a pretty easy set-up. The video on that page was super helpful.

I'm not sure when the premiere week is up, but $15 a year for wireless, yes please. So much cheaper than $30/month to get a HotSpot from Verizon.

For my "review"- I'll say it's a solid B. The connection works, but it's not SUPER quick- Also, some pages take a while to load, but I think it might just be the amount of data it's transferring. I'm using this Tether right now, so, yeah!

Hope it makes someone else as happy as it did me! I don't have internet at my CLE apartment, and sometimes, we get a neighbors, but now I can get it anywhere! I was using my iPhone a lot, but I do love being able to just on my computer to get things done quicker.

Quick note: You have to keep your Safari window open/alive on your iPhone while you use the service, so you'll have to go to your settings and change your "Auto-Lock" to never, and keep the browser open. Otherwise, it quits. Don't like that, but still, $15/$30 for a year!

You're welcome.
  2. Senior Member
    Cool! Thanks for sharing!
  3. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Cool! Off to investigate!
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Question!

So if I was using the tether since I will have to have the safari window open on my phone I could never use the internet at all while on my phone (texting, phone calls, ect) ? I don't know if I would like that

Off to do more research.
  5. Senior Member
    Apple has yanked it from the app store, unfortunately.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by KatyB View Post
    For serious?

I just shared with DB and he was stoked but wondered if it was just for Macs... PC capable, too?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Abby- View Post
    Question!

So if I was using the tether since I will have to have the safari window open on my phone I could never use the internet at all while on my phone (texting, phone calls, ect) ? I don't know if I would like that

Off to do more research.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, because of that, but if you don't have reliable internet (through an at-home service, or a HotSpot) it's great for those "in-between" times and places.

So, yeah, that's a pain, but better than none. I LOVE my iPhone, but sometimes I wanna be on my computer to browse/waste-time,

Quote Originally Posted by KatyB View Post
    They had the original one yanked- they redid it an you don't even buy it off of the app-store. You get it online, and just connect thru your iPhone. The video explains is best.

(The old one that WAS yanked was an app that you downloaded and connected your iPhone thru a USB- This is one is wireless).

Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    For serious?

I just shared with DB and he was stoked but wondered if it was just for Macs... PC capable, too?
    Nope- it's still there. That article was just put up on like, the 8th. I bought it yesterday.

You're welcome.