Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your washer!

1. Moderator

Tell me about your washer!

Advertisements
    My poor, battered washer finally bit the dust this morning. We've had it for almost four years, and considering we bought the cheapest one available at the time, moved it three times, stored it for seven months, etc... it has certainly fulfilled its responsibilities well. RIP washer.

So now I need a new one. What do you have? Brand? What features do you like/dislike about it?

My only definite requirement is that it be EnergyStar certified.
  2. Moderator

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

Sales only last til the 6th, people!
  3. Senior Member
    Hmmmm I'm not at home right now. But my mom almost always goes for GE with washers/dryers. Personally I don't care for all of the fancy stuff that some of the washers have. Simple options like temperature of the water, length of the cycle, extra rinse, and spin speed are enough for me.

Also front loading is a must for me, only because they are higher capacity normally.

Have any in particular in mind?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Hmmmm I'm not at home right now. But my mom almost always goes for GE with washers/dryers. Personally I don't care for all of the fancy stuff that some of the washers have. Simple options like temperature of the water, length of the cycle, extra rinse, and spin speed are enough for me.

Also front loading is a must for me, only because they are higher capacity normally.

Have any in particular in mind?
    There's a Maytag front-loader on sale for $499 (0% interest if paid in 12 months, though we would pay it in two or three) and an LG front-loading steam washer for $699 that we're considering. The dead one is a top-loader, my mom has had a front-loader for a few years now and whenever I visit I think "I wish I had one of these." So much easier to deal with, IMO.

Anyway, the LG has better reviews, but the biggest difference I have found is that it cleans deeper because of the steaming, and our cheapo one cleans just fine so I don't know if it's worth an extra $200.
  5. Senior Member
    Wow. I thought this said tell me about your weather. I came in here all ready to bitch about the 108.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I hate mine and looking into getting a new one. All I have to say, if you get a front loader, make sure the rubber ring angles down towards the drains and doesn't sit flat

7. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    I wish I could help... my washer is a cheap-o tiny thing that DH bought when he was a bachelor...

Come on guys!
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I'm no help - DH does our laundry.

The only I know is you really have to be careful about mustiness with the front loaders. And make sure you can find someone local to service it - one of the brands we looked at had issues with that.

Am I misremembering, or do you also have access to Consumer Reports? I'd check that if you haven't already.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I'm no help - DH does our laundry.

The only I know is you really have to be careful about mustiness with the front loaders. And make sure you can find someone local to service it - one of the brands we looked at had issues with that.

Am I misremembering, or do you also have access to Consumer Reports? I'd check that if you haven't already.
    Stinky consumer reports doesn't have either model listed. AND their top 10-15 are like over a grand. Sorry, no can do, CR!

I've been hearing things about front-loaders along those lines too. I'll have to check for what Sandy mentioned!
  10. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Stinky consumer reports doesn't have either model listed. AND their top 10-15 are like over a grand. Sorry, no can do, CR!

I've been hearing things about front-loaders along those lines too. I'll have to check for what Sandy mentioned!
    I don't personally think the front-loaders are all that great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast