Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First digital SLR?

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Question First digital SLR?

Advertisements
    I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, can we please have it moved?

I'm shopping for our first digital SLR. I have a Pentax film SLR that I loved and I think I can just keep my lens and use it with a digital body. The problem is that I don't know what camera to budget for. Please help!

We don't need a lot of camera. We use it mostly while traveling, so if you also have lens recommendations for something with just the right amount of zoom, that would be great!

We tend to use our Gorillapod and the timer a lot rather than searching for someone to take our photos. It doesn't have to be super compact but we don't want something too bulky.

We don't want to spend more than $450-$500 on the body alone and if we're getting a lens as well, we'd like to spend no more than $600 altogether if we can help it.

Suggestions? Reviews? Comments?

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Definitely look into the Nikon D40. I loved mine when I got it

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54....htm?bct=t1134 Ritz has it w the 18-55 lens for $450. You will definitely want another lens tho cause the zoom sucks with the lens it comes with. It was a great starter camera for me.

Definitely go to the store & talk to them if thats what you decide on. I love Ritz but will never order offline again.
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain. View Post
    Definitely look into the Nikon D40. I loved mine when I got it

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54....htm?bct=t1134 Ritz has it w the 18-55 lens for $450. You will definitely want another lens tho cause the zoom sucks with the lens it comes with. It was a great starter camera for me.

Definitely go to the store & talk to them if thats what you decide on. I love Ritz but will never order offline again.
    Thanks Rain! Do you have any tips on a different lens that is a bit more than a starter with adequate zoom? Think trip to Paris and a lens that could easily capture the gargoyles up on Notre Dame or could easily capture the petals on a flower.
  4. Senior Member
    I have the 55-200 lens. Its pretty sweet. Not sure how far up the gargoyles will be but when we went to Sea World, I sat in the very last row at all the shows & was able to zoom all the way in on the animals.
  5. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    This one interests me as well since my film body is a Pentax and I have an additional lens for it that I'm familiar with. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP65292728.htm
  6. Senior Member
    Ive never used a Pentax. A friend of mine use to use it to shoot his models and loved it til it broke. He has the Sony Alpha something now lol
  7. Senior Member
    I've got the Sony Alpha 100. It's pretty good. I'm still trying to figure it out even though we've had it for a year already.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by my.hero's.mrs View Post
    Thanks Rain! Do you have any tips on a different lens that is a bit more than a starter with adequate zoom? Think trip to Paris and a lens that could easily capture the gargoyles up on Notre Dame or could easily capture the petals on a flower.
    If you get a Nikon, look at getting the 55-200mm. It's enough zoom for what you would need and its pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Emmy; 05-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i love my nikon d60. it's been super easy to use & produces great results. i got it in a kit at xmas time with the 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses for $600 w/ a $50 coupon for my next purchase. i used the coupon towards a external hd. i think you can get it for $650 now.

for the closeup shots of the gargoyles, you are gonna want at least the 55-200mm lens. i am looking at getting a 70-300 mm lens from either tamron or sigma. they aren't as good as the nikon lens but a pretty decent value for what they are. the longer lenses are harder to stablize by hand, so without vibration reduction you may need a monopod to help steady it.

i dunno if you saw the pics i took at the zoo when my bro was here, but they were all shot with the 55-200mm lens. it did a great job. i really loved having it that day. made me super glad i'd bought the camera.

as for the pentax lens from the film slr...not sure that you'll be able to reuse it. not all film lenses are compatible with digital. personally, i'd just upgrade all around.
  10. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your tips!

rc... good point on the lens. I didn't even think about the possibility of differences between usage with film vs. digital bodies.

Looks like I have some choices to make. Good thing its not going to be purchased until around my birthday in September.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast