Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRG Ideas!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    37.47%

FRG Ideas!

Advertisements
    So I am being nominated as the President of the FRG for DH's command...this is my first deployment (coming the beginning of the year), my first sea command rotation with DH, and will be my first FRG experience.

So with that said I don't know what I'm doing haha.

What are some things you wish your FRG had done event wise or had done better organizationally before/ during deployment? This group has a really bad history/reputation here so I'm hoping to turn that around and be a fun and supportive organization.

2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    6.55%
    Ohh some nice things I noticed during the extremely brief time I was involved with DH's ships FRGs:

-Write up "what to expect on deployment" info about managing communication expectations, how port visits work, etc. Have one for family too with gentle info about not being that navy mom, how to support their sailor with care packages/emails
    -Let girlfriends/fiancees participate/join the FB page
    -Have a facebook page with updates - there should be official photos taken you can share online as well as unofficial general navy stuff or local events, etc
    -when homecoming is nearing, have in person meetings to put together "welcome" bags for the single sailors and a sign making party for everyone
    -very clear information about who to contact (and how) in case of emergencies. Red Cross, Ombudsman, etc. Unfortunately it seems like there was always at least one emergency a month during DH's deployment (someone's dad died, a sailor got severely injured, etc). Of course this will depend on the size of the ship and everything
    -Events for both families and non-child-having people. Don't do everything at 10 am on Thursday!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.32%
    For the last 4 years I've been at commands that don't have an active spouses group. I think any social events where you get the spouses together would be nice like coffee social, game night, etc. It would be nice to meet the other spouses at Dhs squadron.

4. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Lv. Percent
    21.06%

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Ohh some nice things I noticed during the extremely brief time I was involved with DH's ships FRGs:

-Write up "what to expect on deployment" info about managing communication expectations, how port visits work, etc. Have one for family too with gentle info about not being that navy mom, how to support their sailor with care packages/emails
    -Let girlfriends/fiancees participate/join the FB page
    -Have a facebook page with updates - there should be official photos taken you can share online as well as unofficial general navy stuff or local events, etc
    -when homecoming is nearing, have in person meetings to put together "welcome" bags for the single sailors and a sign making party for everyone
    -very clear information about who to contact (and how) in case of emergencies. Red Cross, Ombudsman, etc. Unfortunately it seems like there was always at least one emergency a month during DH's deployment (someone's dad died, a sailor got severely injured, etc). Of course this will depend on the size of the ship and everything
    -Events for both families and non-child-having people. Don't do everything at 10 am on Thursday!
    I was VP of the FRG for DH's ship and I agree with all the above. Some of our more popular things we did that went over really well were:

Christmas/Holiday party if deployed over the holidays
    Fall fair w/ costume contest for kids
    Adults only halfway party: Halfway we took a harbor cruise w/ booze and food... it was awesome and a good way for spouses to get away from their kids and have adult time
    Make sure you have an accurate email list so you can communicate everything to the FRG members also have a FB page.
    [/CENTER]
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    31.21%
    Put together care packages for everyone during deployment. We planned to do ones for married and then ones for non married and than ones for everyone.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.78%
    Half way parties are a great way to keep spirits up come deployment time. Than come the end of deployment you have sign making party. Also have a single sailor boxes put together. Those include things that they need once they get off that ship or stay on the ship...fresh cookies/razors/shampoo's....

Also make sure you get all the info you can out there and work well with the ombudsman about the info. As someone else mentioned having a spouse in the dark is a very frustrating thing for me to see. I have a BIL who is a spouse now and while he wants nothing to be apart of the FRG's (well they don't have those in my sisters community) but I told him do me a favor when she deploys again know the person you need to call if something is wrong. We don't have an FRG in our command since we have detachments and not everyone deploys at the same time.

Also if you have social events not everything has to be kid friendly and not everything has to be adult friendly. Try and even those out.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.26%
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    I was VP of the FRG for DH's ship and I agree with all the above. Some of our more popular things we did that went over really well were:

Christmas/Holiday party if deployed over the holidays
    Fall fair w/ costume contest for kids
    Adults only halfway party: Halfway we took a harbor cruise w/ booze and food... it was awesome and a good way for spouses to get away from their kids and have adult time
    Make sure you have an accurate email list so you can communicate everything to the FRG members also have a FB page.
    I like the idea of having alternating kid friendly/adult only activities.
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.78%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I like the idea of having alternating kid friendly/adult only activities.
    I don't want to be with my kids all the time. I would love to have a conversation with someone w/out having something attached to me or always keeping an eye on one. Just make sure enough time is given to allow people to get sitters.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    47.76%
    Contact local Girl Scout troops (or similar crowds) about offering free or low cost babysitting on-site during adult only parties. Have a monthly get together offered, even if it's just a coffee at someone's home or a pizza in the park evening. Not everyone is going to want to participate, but just knowing things are offered is huge in knowing the squadron (or whatever the Navy calls it) cares about families.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    63.32%

When I was married to my ex, I was president of the FRG for two different commands.

My favorite events were the halfway party. The meeting beforehand we taped family members saying hi to their sailors. The command played it for their halfway party.

We also got together around the midway point and started working on the lei for the ship. It's taken out by tugs the morning of homecoming. We also raffled for first kiss. Each meeting people paid a dollar a ticket and first kiss was drawn the meeting before homecoming. It raised a lot of money for the FRG. We also alternated between kid friendly dinners and kid free.

Oh and before deployment, a spouse volunteer would work with each division. We collected specials dates, like birthdays, anniversaries, kids birthdays, etc. Then a calendar was made for each division (or shop if you have more volunteers). That was on so and so's kid's birthday, the whole shop would know and say something to that sailor.

We also made themed care package boxes. They were sent to the ship and bid on by the crew, only knowing the theme and not what was inside. It helped raise money for their MWR events during the cruise.

I have a ton of ideas if you need them. I did this for years and loved it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast