Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FRG Ideas!

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.34%
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Our FRO is also an active duty Marine, and many have them at the squadrons at our old base. Rumor is that will be the new norm to cut costs.
    That makes sense. When DH was on recruiting our FRO was an AD Marine and we had ZERO spouses events in the 3 years we were there. I would maybe get 3 emails a year from the FRO. At this command, practically all the spouses/family events get cancelled due to "lack of interest". I hope the new FRO can turn this around.

2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.82%
    Can't the MC also have a Key Spouse..or at least I was told that 10 years ago when I went through an indoctrination.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    Can't the MC also have a Key Spouse..or at least I was told that 10 years ago when I went through an indoctrination.
    For the Marine Corps? No, I've been around for 10 years too and it has always been a "family readiness" program in the Marines. We have a family readiness officer which is a paid position, you have to have a bachelors degree, etc. Then we have volunteer positions like family readiness assistant, family readiness advisor, and regular volunteers.

I have 2 very good friends in the Air Force, and we lived on a USAF base so that's how I knew about the Key Spouse thing. Plus you pick things up by reading and googling what people say here on the forum. I was taking training classes to be a family readiness assistant for my DHs squadron in the Marine Corps so that's how I know how our program works.

This article will explain the programs and their names for the different branches: http://www.military.com/spouse/milit...and-downs.html
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 08-25-2017 at 05:18 PM.

4. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    63.33%

Before Family Readiness came about, there were Key spouses for the Marine Corps. Family readiness came about around ten years ago.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.51%
    I would consider a survey or something similar, so you can get an idea of what sorts of activities people are interested in, what days and time work best, etc. And I agree that it is key to have a mix of times and types of ideas, so you aren't always catering to the moms or the people who don't work during the day, or whatever.

Also, a small note regarding the raffle of the first kiss or similar--I sat in on a briefing from a JAG officer for Command Leadership Spouses and when someone mentioned that, he was appalled and said it is illegal in most, if not all, States. It's considered gambling. He was very clear on the distinction--a raffle where everyone who attends an event, gets a ticket (so at the Christmas party when someone raffles prizes, for example), is fine. But any time you can pay more to get or increase your chances is not okay. I knew the first kiss thing was pretty common, and all the spouses in the room were pretty surprises, but the poor JAG looked like he was going to shit himself when we told him how common it was. So the takeaway is basically no raffles as fundraisers, and the bigger takeaway is you need to be very careful about fundraising. When in doubt, the command leadership can always run it by a JAG if there is any question.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    For the Marine Corps? No, I've been around for 10 years too and it has always been a "family readiness" program in the Marines. We have a family readiness officer which is a paid position, you have to have a bachelors degree, etc. Then we have volunteer positions like family readiness assistant, family readiness advisor, and regular volunteers.

I have 2 very good friends in the Air Force, and we lived on a USAF base so that's how I knew about the Key Spouse thing. Plus you pick things up by reading and googling what people say here on the forum. I was taking training classes to be a family readiness assistant for my DHs squadron in the Marine Corps so that's how I know how our program works.

This article will explain the programs and their names for the different branches: FRGs: The Ups and the Downs | Military.com
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Before Family Readiness came about, there were Key spouses for the Marine Corps. Family readiness came about around ten years ago.
    Well learn something new all the time. Thanks. I heard the Key Spouse term since 10 years ago Dh was with a navy and marine commands (aviation training) and wasn't sure since we have been nothing but Navy since we left.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    37.74%

Thank you all for your posts!! Sorry for my shitty slow response. My computer broke and I just got it back then ya know hurricane lol.

I def want to do some adults only events! I'm debating maybe doing events with alcohol at my house or something since I don't believe the USO allows it. We're doing a departure banner I guess you could call it this weekend for DH's deployment with a pizza and football night. I really want to make this group awesome and helpful because there are SOOO many young spouses for DH's ship and I can see a lot of them freaking out on Facebook since the ship is helping in the hurricane right now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123