Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can girlfriends participate in FRG meetings

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Can girlfriends participate in FRG meetings

Advertisements
    My boyfriend is an officer and is currently on deployment. Im not exactly sure how the FRG operates but I was curious if girlfriends were allowed to partcipate and if it was possible with him being on deployment?
  2. Senior Member
    This depends on the specific FRG/OSC. Some are open to all comers, some spouses only, some fiancees, etc.

Also, typically those that welcome girlfriends do so only if the service member makes it clear he wants the girlfriend involved. Your best bet is to have him contact the FRG to find out their specific rules, and then if they allow girlfriends and he wants you to be included, he should give the FRG leader your info, and give her info to you as well. But it should be initiated by him.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thats great to know. I will talk to him about it soon. I know he wants me involved. He tried for so long to get his ex wife to become involved but she had no interest.
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

^^^ What V said. Each command is different and it will change as the leadership in the FRG changes and as the commanding officer changes. Some welcome everyone, some say no, it is relatives only. You could have an FRG that has been wives and girlfriends for years take a vote and change to spouses only or the opposite.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    When my boyfriend was deployed, I just logged online to the eMarine site and read the minutes/deployment updates after the FRG meetings. Ask your boyfriend to put you in touch with the FRG if he wants you to be involved. Good luck!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I was invited to FRG meetings as both a girlfriend and fiancé. I only went to one (when we were engaged) and it wasn't my cup of tea.

I can't remember how I was invited. I don't think my DH requested it. He did put me on the Ombudsman contact list, so maybe that's how.

Overall, people were always very welcoming to me! Didn't matter if we were dating/engaged/married.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks everyone! We will be talking about it tonight when he calls.
  8. Senior Member
    I remember the FRG leader was a girlfriend. She was super SUPER nice and did a great job.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the CO. At my DH's last command I was the FRG president and we welcomed everyone. We had mothers, sisters, etc attend meetings. The last 2 COs were very family friendly and had a more the merrier view. Thankfully, we were on the same page cause having an open door policy was definitely something I wanted and didn't need to request. The FRG is the COs group and has final say. So there may be one that is fine with but another that is not. Things like that were never open for a vote. The CO made the decision and that is how it was.

To get on their list you can contact the Ombudsman or the FRG. From there they will most likely need to verify you. At least, they should. That means they will need to consult their roster to see if he is on there and they will need to verify with him that you are who you say you are. It may take them a little time since they are deployed.

Also, since he is an officer there may be an officer group as well. We had one in the last command and we do here as well. I'm not sure if people other than spouses are in though but the group is called ....insert command name....spouse's group. We have our own activities completely separate from the FRG and we have our own Facebook page as well. I had to have someone in the group add me, I couldn't search for the group, because it is a secret group. A signifant other of one of his co-workers may be able to help you with that. Also, when we got here, I got a welcome email as well. Perhaps once he gets you verified they could send you one of those. It told me info about them as a group, contact info, and general info of the area.
  10. Senior Member
    IMLimitedExperience, The FRG is more for getting out info, and the OSC (Officers' Spouses Club) is more social. The OSC will be a much smaller group (very roughly about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the FRG, since it is only Os, of which there are less than Es, and it is never moms and siblings and anyone other than spouses and maybe significant others) and that can be good and bad. Your DB can ask around to either his CO or his officer friends for info on the OSC, if they have one. Some commands have both, others have one or the other.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast