Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can girlfriends participate in FRG meetings

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Yes. If you're wanting command info then you want to get in touch with the FRG. Just keep in mind, for things like dates, you must attend the meeting. Relaying info like that in any way other than in person is a OPSEC violation. Once it reaches a certain point though it no longer is, but at least for us since my DH is on a carrier, that is no more than 24 hours out or when the media releases it.

Our officer spouse's group has monthly activities. They, from what I've seen, don't focus on command info. But on their facebok page they do include all the hail and farewell's. And since my DH is attached to a carrier, thousands of sailors, there seems to consistently be one every month. lol The group changes up the time and place and of their activities are, if it is just the spouse, for the couple, or family friendly to try to appeal to everybody. We actually just had one last week where they road the ferry to Seattle and went to a place for happy hour. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend but it looked like they had a great time.

Also, there is an officer spouse's group for the entire area. It includes people with a spouse in every branch. From what I hear, haven't been able to attend a meeting yet, they have a huge array of sub-groups, too-book club, crafts, sewing, wine, etc.
  2. Senior Member
    My husband is AF so we do not have an FRG, but our squadron includes girlfriends if the AD member requests them to be included. I'm not sure if that's common, as we're a very small squadron, but it works for us!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    IMLimitedExperience, The FRG is more for getting out info, and the OSC (Officers' Spouses Club) is more social. The OSC will be a much smaller group (very roughly about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the FRG, since it is only Os, of which there are less than Es, and it is never moms and siblings and anyone other than spouses and maybe significant others) and that can be good and bad. Your DB can ask around to either his CO or his officer friends for info on the OSC, if they have one. Some commands have both, others have one or the other.
    I don't know anything about the OSC but for the last two commands that I've been involved with the Ombudsman is there to disperse info, they set up the calling tree and stuff to put out homecoming dates when they were unclassified etc. The ombudsman almost always came to FRG meetings and would put information out there that they couldn't communicate via phone/email because it was a convenient way to reach a large part of the families but the FRG was always about the social part. Scheduling fundraisers, events for the kids, halfway and final fling parties, doing the halfway boxes and calendar squares and first kiss/hug yadda yadda.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Life is so up in the air for him right now. I think the FRG/OSC stuff is on the back burner until he comes home. He was in the war college here in KS when we met.

Hes potentially coming back to the states for medical leave soon so he said we will go over everything then!

Thanks for all the replies. this has all been very helpful.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Honestly most FRG's aren't great anyways so you probably wouldn't get a lot out if the meetings. They are really only necessary during deployments and you still don't really need to go to all of them. Some FRG's are very active and fun, and most are drama filled and boring to be a part of. My advice is to get a job and make a nice mixture of military and non military friends to keep it balanced. Definitely network with your friends so it's easier to find jobs.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Meaganslove View Post
    Honestly most FRG's aren't great anyways so you probably wouldn't get a lot out if the meetings. They are really only necessary during deployments and you still don't really need to go to all of them. Some FRG's are very active and fun, and most are drama filled and boring to be a part of. My advice is to get a job and make a nice mixture of military and non military friends to keep it balanced. Definitely network with your friends so it's easier to find jobs.
    Um way to stereotype. Just because YOU had a shitty experience doesn't mean everyone will.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meaganslove View Post

Sorry you've had a bad experience, and certainly not all FRGs are for good for all people. I think it's pretty damaging to make statements like this. Some people love some FRGs, and you have no idea of the OP will be one of them.

It's interesting that you post about the drama of FRGs (in your first post here, without even a welcome post), and yet your post is pretty drama-riffic itself. And you bumped up a thread that's 7 months old to do so. Posting your own experiences is great, but not acknowledging that your experiences are pretty limited and that that not all FRGs are bad and that plenty of people get a great deal out of them isn't very good advice. It's cool that you haven't like the FRGs you've been involved with. But your generalizations aren't helping anyone.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    It's all about the command. In the ones we have been in, girlfriends are welcome to attend FRG meetings, but are not officially part of the FRG. For OPSEC reasons, girlfriends may not be allowed to attend pre-deployment meetings or be allowed to get registered on vFRG. I guess there have been instances where the couple has broken up during the deployment, and the girlfriend found out arrival dates on vFRG and showed up to the homecoming making a big scene.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12