Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRG membership and participation

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

FRG membership and participation

Advertisements
    Hello,

my DH's unit has about 80 soldiers and single guys make up roughly 60% of it.
    The unit(Army) is not currently deployed nor scheduled to deploy.
    The new unit commander is in 6 months already but doesn't seem
    to show much interest in FRG. He claims that he is still learns stuff.

The FRG leader is trying really hard to get everyone motivated and increase
    participation. However, there are about 5-6 wives who attend meetings or participate
    in fundraisers and functions.

Soldiers participate only when it is made mandatory such as Family Day (getting day off in return)
    or Town Hall Meeting (entire squadron meets).

Does this sound familiar to anyone of you?
    How many people usually come to your FRG meetings?

Thanks
  2. Senior Member

It's pretty typical for FRGs to go dormant between deployments. Ours definitely does.

3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I guess that sounds pretty familiar. I was one of those wives who never went. It's just not my thing. It probably depends on the unit etc. but to be honest I don't think I would have gone regardless of what unit it was and who was running it.

I do know from the few times I went and just from socializing with DH's friends, a lot of the soldiers were not fans of participating. They always seemed to have things they'd rather be doing than being voluntold to help sell stuff or sit through presentations.
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I tried getting involved when my husband was on the ship but I just felt out of place. Not my thing.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I agree with the others. In my experience over 13 years with the 3 FRG's I was interested in participanting in that it's pretty typical (and I've heard from other spouses this has been the case for them as well) for them to be dormant/lack participation during the home cycle. I've wondered why so asked around. What I've been told is that people would rather spend that time (meeings, projects) with the service members while they're home and they don't feel the need to get support since the service member is home.

In fact, our first command was shore duty (Navy that didn't deploy) so there wasn't an FRG or spouse group or anything like that; the interest and participation just wasn't there since the longest our service members were gone was for like 2 weeks once or twice a year.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My first FRG experience was interesting. It was a brand new squadron ( navy) and the leadership was strong w/in the command but was a rough start for the families. We did not officially get one till about a month after the command deployed. It was sad. I think most people who showed up at meetings was 10 people on a good day. The most we ever had was to decorate the squadron space before homecoming and the second everyone got home it become dead.

Left shortly after. Even the current command now granted its more civilian than military but we have basically nothing now. Its a non deploying squadron so its not really needed but I have to say its almost sad for incoming people to not get much information about anything weather it be about the squadron or whats going on in general around town.

Sad really.
  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I've tried to be a good sport and join ours everytime. Most of the time, I've been a member in name only. I've only been in 1 that was absolutely the most awesome group of women ever-- and that was in Pensacola when I was still with exDH. In fact, I'm STILL friends with the ombudsman who ran that show because she just had an infectious joy about her. It's the only time I've seen 20+ women come to nearly every single event the group hosted.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. Senior Member
    I think most people just aren't that interested, in general, especially when the squadron is home, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, having been active in an OSC (DH's community hasn't switched over the the FRG model), I can say that it is a ton of work, frustration, and a good amount of drama. People love to complain about what is or isn't being done, but they don't want to step up and put in the work it takes to make things run.

And frankly, the CO of a squadron has more crucial things to tend to than the spouses group. That may sound harsh, but it's true. Those groups should largely run themselves, with minimal input from the CO as needed. Of course he can and should offer support, but the group needs to be largely-self running. He can't drag them kicking and streaming to success. If they don't have the volunteers to do run themselves, then clearly there is not enough interest, and that kind of falls on the spouses, not the CO.

It's not his job to set up a decorating party for the return, or organize a day to decorate care packages, or anything like that. And if events are held and almost no one shows up, then it makes sense that people who are giving up their volunteering time are not going to continue wasting the effort.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Regular Member
    How do you get involved with the FRG? DH and I are at Ft. Polk and I have yet to meet any military friends/family who may know?

Thanks!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSFM View Post
    How do you get involved with the FRG? DH and I are at Ft. Polk and I have yet to meet any military friends/family who may know?

Thanks!
    Your DH can get the info from work and give it to you, or pass your info along to them.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast