Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Ombudsman

1. Senior Member

New Ombudsman

Advertisements
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on being an Ombudsman. What do you enjoy about being an Ombudsman? What have you done to be a successful ombudsman? Do you write a newsletter? If so how often and what are things that you include in your newsletter?

I am new to being an ombudsman and I am just wondering what you experiences are with being an ombudsman or interactions with ombudsman.

For those that have a command ombudsman what are things that you like to hear from them and what things do you find unhelpful or annoying?

Just looking for thoughts and commentary. Thanks.
    ~ Sara ~
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi there! I'm a fairly new Ombudsman but wanted to answer a few of your questions.
    What I enjoy about being an Ombudsman so far is meeting new people and being able to help out spouses. To be a successful Ombudsman I think that you need to put yourself out there and let spouses know that your there to help them if they need it but not email them every day! That was a big tip from other Ombudsmen at the training I went to. I also enjoy going to the Ombudsman Assembly every month. You get a lot of great information from them and also get to meet other Ombudsmen in your area.

I do write a newsletter. I write one monthly while they are deployed. I write a newsletter every 2 months when they aren't deployed. I get information from the Ombudsman Assembly, emails from the Ombudsman Registry, and I search a lot of websites like the local MWR for our bases around here. I always like to include a resource for spouses in my newsletter. I put things to do around the area. I always have an area for the CO to put his letter for the families.

I have enjoyed being an Ombudsman so far. My command is very small though so I think I'm being a little spoiled! I have a good relationship with the CO and my POC. If you have any other questions I don't mind answering!
  3. Senior Member
    Never been an Ombudsman...but the ones I've interacted with were great!

We got a monthly newsletter...I'm at work, so I don't have an example to go off of, but I remember in it they would have some comments from the command, a recipe, a craft for children, any updates on the ship (this was dependent on what was going on), and a few odds and ends. It was really enjoyable to read. Another thing they did that I liked was spotlighting things about the month. For example, April is Month of the Military Child...so there would be a blurb about that and some details about how to help children cope with deployment.

During deployment they had a get together each month...it could be a cookout, holiday potluck in December, Easter egg hunt in April, etc.

They also had a monthly Spouse's night out where we all got together and went to dinner.
  4. Senior Member
    HI ladies thanks for your thoughts and comments. They are greatly appreciated.

I am working with one of my POC on the ship to begin working on a bimonthly newsletter from the crew and families while the ship is at home. I hope to have a very active newsletter with lots of good information.

I have also gone to Indoc and participated with our FRG just trying to make sure that my name and face are out there for the crew and families. I am hopeful to build a robust ombudsman program at this command.
    ~ Sara ~
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    we've had two here and they were both great. They kept us/keep us informed of any thing going on base (ie gate closures, special hours at the shoppette, all hands club and the youth center doing something special) and one good one was civil defense issues (tsunami watches/warnings, fires near the base, etc)
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

I just recently stepped down on being co ombudsman but it wasnt because I didnt like it..it was my co and I could not work with a person like that

its very rewarding, just remember not to get too involved in peoples lives when you are not needed to
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Closing, as this thread is a year old.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.