Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need Info and Advice as Navy FRG Leader-to-be

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Need Info and Advice as Navy FRG Leader-to-be

Advertisements
    . I am looking for info about being an FRG Leader. My hubby just transferred to a new command,new ship.Therefore the CO and CMC is trying to find an Ombudsman and FRG for the command. I applied to be an ombudsman but CMC pushing me to start the FRG according to him based on what I said during the ombudsman interview, they feel I am more of an FRG leader. I do feel the same way, I like and would love to do a lot of things for my navy family. The big but is I have never held a group sinced I graduated High School..lol! that was 12 years ago..never attended anything after that . I am a mother of 2 toddler 4 and 2, I am Asian, I speak English but sometimes my pronounciation is off. These are some things that makes me think it twice . Also getting other spouses to attend the meeting and be active..I really need an advice. I think I can do it but I am also the type of person who wants to see the whole picture first before committing. My CMC already give me a copy of the FRG Handbook. I just need some advice from someone who have been there. Please advice me and share your experienced . I would really like to do this but not if I cant convinced myself that I can. I don’t know if that makes sense . My hubby is no help. I ask him all he said is “If you think you can handle the stress”..

I will greatly appreciate all your info and advice.

Thank you

2. Regular Member
    I came to this page looking for similar advice. I've been a Navy wife for 8 months, and just became the president of our FRG last night, not entirely knowing what I was getting in to. I'm also interested in any experience others have and any advice you can offer.

What I have learned so far is that Fleet and Family Support Center offers classes to train the FRG board, and that your FRG will be what the members choose to make it. We are just getting started, but are planning several different activities for wives and families to get together during the day and also while our boat is underway. I have yet to see the FRG Handbook but I'm sure that covers alot of what you need to know.

Anyone else have more to add?
  3. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I have never held a position with the FRG but I'll offer my two cents.

Biggest tips?

Allow all SO's the opportunity to participate.meaning, don't always schedule activities during the week and during the day. Many SO's work, as was my case. I often couldn't take off work which made me feel left out.

Find a childcare solution. Possibly find a few teenagers within the group. Childcare really helps during the sit down meetings when pertinent info is being handed out.

Offer both kiddo friendly and adult only meetings. Not everyone enjoys the company of children.

Keep a very active phone tree. Use it monthly. Especially if you have young, new wives/husbands with no deployments under their belt. Nothing is better than a fellow SO from the command calling to check in on you. Don't wait until the end of deployment to check in and see if they need anything.

Be very persistent in gathering SO information to allow you to communicate. Many sailors/soldiers/marines/airmen/coasties feel that the FRG is just a big bitch/gossip feast and "don't want their wives involved". Also, many wives feel the same way. But once deployed the SO's realize most of the correct info is filtered through the FRG but since the service member did not sign them up it will take a bit to get permission to include them.

Last, but not least, make sure of your motives for volunteering and those of your board members. It only takes one insensitive/insincere member to bring an FRG down.
  4. Classic Bookworm
    Classic Bookworm
    I haven't been an FRG leader, but to go on what Jayo said, try to change up when you have the meetings. Our FRG has it at the same time and the same day and it doesn't work for a lot of people. I've never been to an actually meeting so I have not tips there.

SailorsBunny is my amazing Wifey
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    I have never held a position with the FRG but I'll offer my two cents.

Biggest tips?

Allow all SO's the opportunity to participate.meaning, don't always schedule activities during the week and during the day. Many SO's work, as was my case. I often couldn't take off work which made me feel left out.

Find a childcare solution. Possibly find a few teenagers within the group. Childcare really helps during the sit down meetings when pertinent info is being handed out.

Offer both kiddo friendly and adult only meetings. Not everyone enjoys the company of children.

Keep a very active phone tree. Use it monthly. Especially if you have young, new wives/husbands with no deployments under their belt. Nothing is better than a fellow SO from the command calling to check in on you. Don't wait until the end of deployment to check in and see if they need anything.

Be very persistent in gathering SO information to allow you to communicate. Many sailors/soldiers/marines/airmen/coasties feel that the FRG is just a big bitch/gossip feast and "don't want their wives involved". Also, many wives feel the same way. But once deployed the SO's realize most of the correct info is filtered through the FRG but since the service member did not sign them up it will take a bit to get permission to include them.

Last, but not least, make sure of your motives for volunteering and those of your board members. It only takes one insensitive/insincere member to bring an FRG down.
    great advice! also, ask what the members want out of the FRG. I knows ours here ask what we would like to do, if we want to volunteer activities ie like wine tastings, volunteer things like habitat for humanity, etc. They find areas where members want to participate. I know a few that just would say "meeting" and we'd meet, snack, get the meeting through and that was it. imo it seemed so robotic and empty, no one really got to know each other. And keep the newsletters or emails of news and events up to date, once or twice a week. I know ours, especially on deployments it seemed like you'll get three or four in two weeks, and then it would be dead for about three months. and then another spotty deluge of information.