Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRG event ideas-input needed!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

FRG event ideas-input needed!

Advertisements
    I know the FRG tends to have a bad rep in some units. We don't have a lot of people show up for our meetings or events, but I'm wanting to change that. I'm the event coordinator for our FRG, so I'm in charge of planning all the events. What I'm curious about is, what would make you WANT to go to a meeting or event? What types of events do you wish your FRG would hold?

We're going bowling this month (which I'm not crazy about, but it was the leader's idea), and I have a wine tasting girls/date night in the works for the Spring, but that's all I've got so far. I also want to do a 3 or 5K walk/run/stroll to raise money too for the Summer.

What would make you actually show up to an event? I'm not necessarily talking about group dynamics (like, you'd go if you didn't have an extreme dislike for the other ladies), just specific events. If you were new to a unit, what would be a nice way to be welcomed? That's something we need to work on as well.

So throw your ideas my way, I'm all ears!
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  2. Senior Member
    Our FRG does a lot, and the attendance has always been great for the events I've gone to. We have monthly pot lucks, and two coffee meet-ups per month. One is at a bakery, the other is at Barnes & Nobles in the children's area.

There's a big event tomorrow night, Red Carpet event. It's a child free thing. It's a chance for all the girls to get dressed up and you have to wear something red. There's going to be music, dancing, a cash bar, light food...just a fun social event.

Last year we had a little black dress night. Basically the same idea as the Red Carpet one I mentioned. They try to keep a variety of events going on, some kid friendly, some not. It's worked out pretty well in the past.

Do you have a welcome aboard group? Our FRO sends out a packet with a bunch of information for new arrivals. I like going to events that are organized. There's nothing I hate more than showing up somewhere, and it's just a mess. So, organization and advanced noticed are the two biggest things I need to make me want to be involved.

I hope that helps some!
    Last edited by docswife522; 02-09-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: cash bar not open bar!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am stalking this thread 'cause I'm in the same boat. I didn't think FRG could have alcohol events though, but I would so love to be wrong since I am all for a margarita bar .

-Does your MWR have bouncy houses for rent? You could do a bbq with those.
    -I was thinking about a volunteer event like getting a group together on a Saturday to go stock the local foodbank or work a tent at a marathon event.
    -Check at your local art museum if they had an family art class they might be willing to host or come to the post to give.
    -ACS has classes they can come give parents.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We do monthly potlucks, family bowling (last time they brought pro sports players who signed balls and stuff and bowled with the kids), ladies yoga nights, and ladies massage days. We are also doing a 5k/10K autism run/walk since we have families (including my own) with autistic children.

At every family event and meeting that doesn't involve something really fun already (like bowling) they have a table of toys for the kids and they each get to take one home at the end of the meeting or event, plus they play movies. At big outdoor events like Bn Family Day and goodbye/reunion there is a bouncey house and outdoor games/bubbles.

They also have boxes of donated care package items for us to take from at all the meetings and potlucks.

Oh, and raffles. Every event has raffles with gifts and gift cards for local retailers or the Commissary.

Do you have a wives facebook group? We have one that has really helped us communicate a lot and allows us to organize get-togethers on our own too.

HTH.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
    We do monthly potlucks, family bowling (last time they brought pro sports players who signed balls and stuff and bowled with the kids), ladies yoga nights, and ladies massage days. We are also doing a 5k/10K autism run/walk since we have families (including my own) with autistic children.

At every family event and meeting that doesn't involve something really fun already (like bowling) they have a table of toys for the kids and they each get to take one home at the end of the meeting or event, plus they play movies. At big outdoor events like Bn Family Day and goodbye/reunion there is a bouncey house and outdoor games/bubbles.

They also have boxes of donated care package items for us to take from at all the meetings and potlucks.

Oh, and raffles. Every event has raffles with gifts and gift cards for local retailers or the Commissary.

Do you have a wives facebook group? We have one that has really helped us communicate a lot and allows us to organize get-togethers on our own too.

HTH.
    I forgot about raffles! They do them at our bigger events. At the Christmas party they raffled some digital cameras, a Wii, and something else.

The Facebook group is a good idea too. Just be careful of drama lol. We've had that happen a couple of times over the past few months.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Free child care
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    Free child care
    How do I keep forgetting to mention these things?! For us, if your child is registered for the CDC, free childcare is provided there for some events. For those same events, if you choose to use an outside provider, we are reimbursed $3/hour per child.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    They're cutting our free childcare unless you're a leader or key caller. It's ridic. It'd be nice though if we could get someone who has an older child to come and at least keep the kids entertained during the meetings. The majority of our meetings are during the day, so it's hard to have the spouses watch the kiddos after work.

I really like the red carpet idea, we had a semi-formal back in October, but that was for the entire Taskforce, it'd be nice to do something on a smaller level. I don't think they have coffee meet-ups or anything like that, mostly because I honestly don't think anyone would show up. I've seen the same group of people at the meetings every time, and then people bitch about not knowing what's going on. Anyways, not the point...

I'm curious where the FRG gets money for toys and bouncy houses. I'm not 100% sure how much we have in our account, but I think a bouncy house might clear us out.

I'm going to talk to the leaders about a FB page so we could get more feedback that way. Thanks for your input ladies!
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I can't go to anything that I can't bring Aubree to, so child-friendly activities would be appreciated.

Also, I LOOOOVE working out so 5Ks and 10Ks would be awesome! But make sure that you guarantee that jogging strollers can do it! Otherwise, you run into the folks with small kids not being able to participate again.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Ci-Ci's Pizza
    Pizza Hut
    Golden Corral

people love food....or maybe I'm just hungry

We would do an occasional adult night and provide childcare. Just go out dancing, out to dinner, or drinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast