Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Questions for Current/Former FRG Leaders!

  1. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic's Avatar
    MissOptimistic is offline
    MissOptimistic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewherez.
    Posts
    19,620
    Blog Entries
    2
    #1

    Exclamation Questions for Current/Former FRG Leaders!

    Advertisements
    Okay ladies. I've been asked if I'm interested in being the FRG leader. I AM interested, but need some info first.

    I will be talking with the commander about this and asking a million questions, but am looking to get some ground information first, about what all this position could include, and how much time I'll need to be available, etc. Our FRG is pretty inactive and has been since DH and I got here over a year ago, so I haven't had anything to do with FRG stuff. Now they're trying to amp things up and get people involved again, which I like.

    Basically I'm just looking to hear your experiences. I like the idea, and I would like to be involved, I just need to make sure I actually have the time.

    Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,411
    #2
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to either be an Ombudsman or FRG leader sometime in the future!
    The only thing that disappoints me about FRG (at least the one with our ship) is that it disbands while the ship is NOT deployed. Which, I think totally sucks.
  3. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic's Avatar
    MissOptimistic is offline
    MissOptimistic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewherez.
    Posts
    19,620
    Blog Entries
    2
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to either be an Ombudsman or FRG leader sometime in the future!
    The only thing that disappoints me about FRG (at least the one with our ship) is that it disbands while the ship is NOT deployed. Which, I think totally sucks.
    I think that's pretty much what happened here. There's no sign/news of deployments, but the new commander wants a more active FRG. And so do I.
  4. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Your_Anz's Avatar
    Your_Anz is offline
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Va Beach/Norfolk
    Posts
    4,122

    #4
    Weeellll, I was the FRG leader for our recruiting company, it was interesting. We always had a Battalion rep we could speak to for advice and knowledge. We always had something to do every month, whether it was just a meeting or a conference call. There was always something. I put out a monthly newsletter on updates within our company, births, birthdays (if they wanted to share), milestones, promotions, comings and goings. Relatively non-time consuming and easy to do. I had a special email address where they could reach me and they knew they could also call/email me at work (I worked for the company). During the winter months gatherings were few, other then celebrations for Christmas, but when spring came around we would have family fun days of softball and hot dogs at a centralized park. We didn't have a whole lot of fundraising going on, but we did what we could and we also got sponsorship from locals. We had a phone tree and schedule for events if people wanted to help out, we had a secretary for meetings and an alternate for me as well. The biggest thing, was knowing a little bit of everything and being prepared to help in any and every matter... I was lucky cause I had already served, I was working for the command, and I already did all of the paperwork for the people that I was helping!
  5. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,411
    #5
    Well gosh. Why the heck is our FRG so lame.
  6. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic's Avatar
    MissOptimistic is offline
    MissOptimistic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewherez.
    Posts
    19,620
    Blog Entries
    2
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Your_Anz View Post
    Weeellll, I was the FRG leader for our recruiting company, it was interesting. We always had a Battalion rep we could speak to for advice and knowledge. We always had something to do every month, whether it was just a meeting or a conference call. There was always something. I put out a monthly newsletter on updates within our company, births, birthdays (if they wanted to share), milestones, promotions, comings and goings. Relatively non-time consuming and easy to do. I had a special email address where they could reach me and they knew they could also call/email me at work (I worked for the company). During the winter months gatherings were few, other then celebrations for Christmas, but when spring came around we would have family fun days of softball and hot dogs at a centralized park. We didn't have a whole lot of fundraising going on, but we did what we could and we also got sponsorship from locals. We had a phone tree and schedule for events if people wanted to help out, we had a secretary for meetings and an alternate for me as well. The biggest thing, was knowing a little bit of everything and being prepared to help in any and every matter... I was lucky cause I had already served, I was working for the command, and I already did all of the paperwork for the people that I was helping!
    Thank you! This is very helpful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Well gosh. Why the heck is our FRG so lame.
    Ours too!
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    princessgwynn's Avatar
    princessgwynn is offline
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere I would rather not be :(
    Posts
    11,424
    #7
    I was co-leader for two companies in the same battalion & really enjoyed it. There is a lot more work during a deployment but when there isn't one on the horizon is the time to develop your base for the FRG. Like Your_Anz said a monthly newsletter is always helpful for getting info out as well as being a good way for new people to get involved. One of the biggest pitfalls of an FRG is that rumors can start running rampant if you let them so be prepared to stomp them out from the beginning. The most important thing is to make sure you stay organized & have a good team. I know the FRG that I was in charge of got a new leader after I left that almost ruined the group. She didn't keep up with the paperwork (she still had contact info for a soldier who had left, re-classed, deployed and been killed) and that made it impossible for them to be properly prepared for the upcoming deployment. See if you can meet with the FRSA before you commit to make sure that you can work together because they are a vital part of the communication chain.

    Sorry this is all over the place- I really don't feel well right now. PM me if you would like to talk more!
  8. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #8
    I was a co-leader for a previous FRG and it had its ups and downs. If you are willing to commit to the position, I say go for it. Depending on the size of the company and/or FRG you may want to consider a co-leader position, completely up to you and the company commander.

    If you decide to take on the position, I would suggest going through the company's roster and/or social roster to verify that you have the current soldiers. The company FRG I was part of had soldiers that had been gone months before. Maybe ask the commander to hold a mandatory meeting for soldiers (if not deployed) and spouses to introduce yourself and ask for information updates with family information sheets (your FRSA should be able to provide these) from families. From my experience, when the commander had an incentive for soldiers (no PT the next morning) there was more participation, but again...this is up to the commander to decide that. It just helps the company to know who the new FRG leader is if there is a meeting with everyone there.

    I will also say, don't get disappointed if folks don't participate or respond, just do the best you can and hopefully you have a group of folks who like to participate!

    Good luck!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •