Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Co-Leader Frustrated by Fundraising Limitations

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help New Co-Leader Frustrated by Fundraising Limitations

Advertisements
    I've started reading all of the regulations and this is what I've found so far:

1) Army Reserve FRGs may only fundraise on post or among their own members

2) FRGs may not engage in external fundraising

3) FRGs may not solicit donations or gifts

So basically in order for us to make money for our own group we have to put our own (or our spouses) money into it. This is completely absurd to me considering there are so many "Support Our Troops" fundraisers out there. We can ask to support our troops, but from these rules we can't support our families? I don't get it. Are there any ways around these rules?

I did find that there is a Supplemental Mission Account that unsolicited donations go into. However, how do you get donations without soliciting? Can we get some publicity by volunteering and if the news covers it, it then informs the public that we exist?

I am in Knoxville, TN at an Army Reserve unit so much of the public is unaware that there is even an Army unit here. My husband is Active Duty, but he works for reserve units (AGR). I need an FRG to keep me sane and right now the one we have is in shambles with no money.

PLEASE HELP! Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you and God bless!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by hallen111 View Post
    I've started reading all of the regulations and this is what I've found so far:

1) Army Reserve FRGs may only fundraise on post or among their own members

2) FRGs may not engage in external fundraising

3) FRGs may not solicit donations or gifts

So basically in order for us to make money for our own group we have to put our own (or our spouses) money into it. This is completely absurd to me considering there are so many "Support Our Troops" fundraisers out there. We can ask to support our troops, but from these rules we can't support our families? I don't get it. Are there any ways around these rules?

I did find that there is a Supplemental Mission Account that unsolicited donations go into. However, how do you get donations without soliciting? Can we get some publicity by volunteering and if the news covers it, it then informs the public that we exist?

I am in Knoxville, TN at an Army Reserve unit so much of the public is unaware that there is even an Army unit here. My husband is Active Duty, but he works for reserve units (AGR). I need an FRG to keep me sane and right now the one we have is in shambles with no money.

PLEASE HELP! Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you and God bless!
    You can hold fundraisers on base like some of our FRG groups did for christmas time. Wraping presents. Its not putting your own money it to the FRG.
  3. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Basically someone just has to take the ball and run with it, whoever is in charge or coordinating. If they don't want to step up then someone needs to or else it will fall apart. That's what happened with our unit. All but one company managed to stay afloat and they have "girls nights" and pot lucks, etc,... It's not always about raising money remember the main thing a lot of those families need is support and to feel like someone understands them.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  4. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I hear your frustration. Holding fundraisers within your own command does feel like you might as well be donating your own money without doing the work. But there are other avenues.

Like Golfcompanyfrgleader said, you can hold fundraisers on base, say in front of the commissary. I don't think you're allowed to sell baked goods, though, due to health regulations or something like that.

You can also sell to your family members (like your parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc.).

Different ideas of things to sell work for different groups depending on size of the command, and interests of the people in the command. But some ideas are:
    *Ornaments with the command logo
    *cookbook with pics made using recipes from spouses (you need a lot of people to sell to to make this profitable)
    *A tote bag (which is one size fits all) with the command logo on it, and/or personalized to say for example SGT Generic's mom, dad, wife, etc. You can get totes on-line in bulk for cheap and work out a deal with a local embroiderer to make these fairly profitable if you find a market for them.
    *Make breakfast burritos for your command and sell them (since it's for your command and not the base, the health code regulations don't apply)
    *Do a potluck lunch thing. Have all the FRG members make a dish and bring it for lunch, give it to the command and have a donation jar.
    *Make a calendar

I've looked into selling koozies and mugs, but you can't buy them cheap enough-you'd have to sell them for more than people would want to pay to make any profit worth the effort.

I can't think of other right now. Good luck!!
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    That's weird. I know a friend of mine is an FRG leader here in Korea and she's been soliciting for donations from the local businesses off base.

It may be that any fundraising has to go through the proper channels first? I.e., permission from command?

I know that, here at least, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to do things for fund raising and a lot of red tape.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for all of the advice. I appreciate it. Just to clear things up. I am not on or anywhere near a base since my husband is AGR. We are at a reserve unit so holding any type of activity at the unit will not likely be noticed by others unless we advertise that we are doing something. Which, I would assume, advertising will be considered as soliciting.

Anyone have experience with FRG's at a Reserve Units? Have any of you set up a Private Organization to fund some kinds of get togethers?

Thanks again everyone!
  7. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Quote Originally Posted by hallen111 View Post
    Thank you for all of the advice. I appreciate it. Just to clear things up. I am not on or anywhere near a base since my husband is AGR. We are at a reserve unit so holding any type of activity at the unit will not likely be noticed by others unless we advertise that we are doing something. Which, I would assume, advertising will be considered as soliciting.

Anyone have experience with FRG's at a Reserve Units? Have any of you set up a Private Organization to fund some kinds of get togethers?

Thanks again everyone!
    The tote and ornament selling could still work if there's a monthly newsletter that goes out to the entire command. You could include an order form with the newsletter so anyone who receives it can and is authorized to order. Ship them in flat rate boxes so you can include a Shipping cost on the form. You can have everyone send back the order forms or include your phone number and e-mail so they can order by phone or e-mail if they prefer that.

And you are allowed to solicit within your command or on a base. So if you do something at the unit, you would be allowed to put up flyers there or mail them with a newsletter announcing what you're doing. And you wouldn't be allowed to advertise to the public, only people who are authorized/work/family members of workers there. Of course, everything needs to be approved by the command.

Other than that, I don't know. Member dues might be the only way.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBlue505 View Post
    The tote and ornament selling could still work if there's a monthly newsletter that goes out to the entire command. You could include an order form with the newsletter so anyone who receives it can and is authorized to order. Ship them in flat rate boxes so you can include a Shipping cost on the form. You can have everyone send back the order forms or include your phone number and e-mail so they can order by phone or e-mail if they prefer that.

And you are allowed to solicit within your command or on a base. So if you do something at the unit, you would be allowed to put up flyers there or mail them with a newsletter announcing what you're doing. And you wouldn't be allowed to advertise to the public, only people who are authorized/work/family members of workers there. Of course, everything needs to be approved by the command.

Other than that, I don't know. Member dues might be the only way.
    Thank you, PrincessBlue! You've been a great help!
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

response re fundraising

Have you had a chance to go to basic FRG training? It will help to give you the basics plus you can make local networking connections to help with these types of questions. I've found it difficult to get information online or search it online.

I am in a similar situation as you. I cannot solicit on base as we are out of a local armory. You can only earn money internally. You can buy things at like costco and put them out for soldiers with a donation can but you cannot list a price. You cannot do alot of things. I keep hearing easier to ask forgiveness than permission. It's maddening when you're truly trying to do things right.

Ideally you do want to get your funds from the community. You and any other statutory volunteer cannot request these donations in the community, however your mom, dad, friend, neighbor or anyone else not incl soldiers can. Your FAC can also help wiht making community connections. I have heard it explained like you create opportunities to discuss the command's "needs" and that they would like a sponsor then if the place offers that's how it works.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TRYINTHIS2 View Post
    Have you had a chance to go to basic FRG training? It will help to give you the basics plus you can make local networking connections to help with these types of questions. I've found it difficult to get information online or search it online.

I am in a similar situation as you. I cannot solicit on base as we are out of a local armory. You can only earn money internally. You can buy things at like costco and put them out for soldiers with a donation can but you cannot list a price. You cannot do alot of things. I keep hearing easier to ask forgiveness than permission. It's maddening when you're truly trying to do things right.

Ideally you do want to get your funds from the community. You and any other statutory volunteer cannot request these donations in the community, however your mom, dad, friend, neighbor or anyone else not incl soldiers can. Your FAC can also help wiht making community connections. I have heard it explained like you create opportunities to discuss the command's "needs" and that they would like a sponsor then if the place offers that's how it works.
    Thank you so much! The liason for my unit is trying to get it approved for me to go to training with her. I'm definitely looking forward to it and asking my questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast