Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to get people involed?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Bang Head How to get people involed?

Advertisements
    I have held two meetings and then two fundrasiers. I am having a problem getting people to even come to the meetings. We had gift cards for both meetings. They just got home from deployment about 4 months now. No one really wants to get involed and I just took over. During the deployment they only had about 5 meetings the whole 13th month deployment. Please help!!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

getting people to come

I think sometimes we have to realize that people may not be interested in being involved unless there is something in it for them like information.

Your main role is to get accurate information in a timely manner to families. Just be there and make opportunities for families to come. If they do great, if they dont you've at least done what you can.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    How have you tried to advertise the events so far?
    Married to MacGirl, chasesbabygurl, An Everyday Love and *Larz* 12-20-2009
  4. Regular Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from with this frustration. I have experienced that myself. I think after deployment the last thing some families want is to be reminded that their loved one was ever gone and of the possibility that it can happen again. So it can truly be a challenge.

One thing we did was to do the meetings during drill weekends and as an incentive those service-members who brought family and/or friends were able to leave drill early that day. We would do our meetings like on Sunday at noon and be done by 1-1:30. This not only encouraged soldiers to bring family, but for family to want to come since they would then be able to spend more time with their spouses. It also allows them to see that both Command and the FRG alike believe that families are important. After all if Command doesn't care then no one will.

It is important for Command to make the FRG important to the soldiers.

I have also found that putting the FRG (myself if that's all there is) in front of Command and soldiers often makes a difference. Maybe you can show up and offer refreshments. Then they will see you as something to look forward to.

Personally, I think this is a topic that needs a JSS webinar teaching for. Getting people involved really is a difficult thing to do.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

PLEASE CHECK THE DATES BEFORE YOU BUMP OLD THREADS... THIS IS FROM 2009
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Identifying the problem is going to be key in solving it - you need to find out why people aren't involved. Only then can you start figuring out ways to encourage involvement.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    PLEASE CHECK THE DATES BEFORE YOU BUMP OLD THREADS... THIS IS FROM 2009
    Oops - sorry - didn't even look at that -- bring on the cone of shame.
  8. Regular Member
    Oh another thing I did was to invite people to lunch just to get to know them. I used to have certain people that would come up to talk to me after the meetings, but it seemed I could not get them to do anything. So I decided to ask them to lunch.

I know that the FRG is not supposed to be a social hour, but the fact is people need attention and they need to have an association with you sometimes before they will work with you.

Taking them to lunch allowed me to get to know them better and for them to get to know me. It made a difference I think because they were able to see that I really did value their opinions and ideas and that I wasn't going to make them my peons just because I have the title of "FRG Leader." I think that can be intimidating to some.
  9. Regular Member
    opps sorry--Newbie here!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunyb View Post
    opps sorry--Newbie here!
    You're fine!!! Just a friendly reminder!

You're more than welcome to start a new thread to get new ideas if you'd like