Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRG Newsletter

1. Senior Member

Question FRG Newsletter

Advertisements
    I'm the Newsletter Editor for our FRG, and I'm searching for new ideas on how to make our newsletter better... so that people actually WANT to read it. I was wondering if there was anyone who makes their unit's newsletter if they have any ideas or advice, or if anyone at all had any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i personally loved reading the newsletter when there were pictures in it. when my husband was deployed, there was one newsletter with pictures in it, and one of them had him in it. it was the only picture i got of him the whole deployment.

as for the FRG in general, i don't like to participate because mine is not very welcoming to new members and they made me feel like i shouldn't even be there.
  3. Senior Member
    That's been my experience with the FRG as well. My husband's last (deploying) unit's FRG was so horrible, they told ME to call THEM to see when my husband was coming home. That's what I want to change... luckily the unit my husband's in now has a great 1SG and CO, and they hate the way FRG's are run too, so we're trying to make a more 'user-friendly' FRG. I just really want to help do my part, but I'm having like a creative block on what I could do.

4. Senior Member
    I co-cordinate the newsletter for my husband's unit. PM me with your email...I'll send you Aprils version. Much of the information in ours comes from Military Onesource. The website has oddles of articles and information.
    NO MORE TICKER!!! HE"S HOME!!

5. Super-mom extrodinaire
    Super-mom extrodinaire
    I do the newsletter fo rour unit. It is usually 5-6 pages long and on the front is a note from the 1SG and the CPT and the Battery emergency contact list (they are deployed). The second page has a letter from the FRG Leader, and any announcements or upcoming events/meetings. The third page has resources, some I get from military one source, some from our red cross/VFW/Am Legion contacts. The forth page has minutes from the last meeting. The fifth and sixth pages include an article about the guys while they are gone (a day in the life, a soldier profile, etc) I include photos and clip art all over the place. Everyone I have talked to has really enjoyed it. If ya want to see PM me with your email and I'll send you some issues.
    I look at the moon every night, because I know in 12 short hours she will be looking at you. - DH Iraq 2009
    Rachooow is my awesome wifey So you can't have her
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    When we had one, we spotlighted a spouse to create a sense of community. You know people's names, but you never really know much more about them, kwim? We also did kids' news (honor roll, special awards, special activities... that way their parents overseas could see them), any upcoming events for a calendar and a commander's corner where the commander could give perspective on how things were going downrange.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our last unit had a nice newsletter, and I always enjoyed reading it. There were lots of photos when they were deployed, and seeing a picture of your husband in those newsletters is priceless. They also included births and birthdays, people receiving awards (even spouses), recognized all of the spouses who volunteered for the FRG events and fundraisers, and just had a wealth of information. I enjoyed that it included information about the other families and children, and it made me feel like we were all in touch.
  8. Senior Member
    Everyone so far has liked the newsletters I've put out... our FRG is just having a problem getting the single soldiers to care. We're not deployed right now, although it is coming up, so I know they will gain importance when they do deploy... I just wish I could figure out a way to get the single soldiers more involved!

9. Regular Member
    I would like some info too....I just volunteered for my FRG newsletter. If someone could send me a version of how they did theirs. Thanks
  10. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I second the thought about posting both info on a spouse and the servicemember. For example; Servicemember XX makes rank, spotlight him/her and then their perspective spouse or their family mbrs. It's always nice to put a name to face and then a little info..might generate some friendships!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast