Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: FRG websites

1. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D

Question FRG websites

Advertisements
    For those that have FRG websites, I have a few questions.

Is yours a website that members can just look at, or one that's more like a forum (like yahoo groups) where members can participate?

If yours is more like a forum where members can participate, are there any "rules" for the site?

If there are FRG members who are personal business consultants (like for Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, etc), are the consultants allowed to "solicit" on the site? Say if someone is a Mary Kay consultant and Mary Kay is having a sale, are they allowed to advertise the sale by posting it on the site? Are they allowed to post flyers for their products or advertise "parties" they're having for it?

If you have a more forum like site, are there any "rules" regarding non-consultant members inviting everyone by posting on the website to a Tupperware, Mary Kay, etc. "party" they're hosting?

If not allowed, how is it handled with your group?

What if it's like yahoo groups where there's no way to have special section for them to post all their advertisements (like there is on MSOS with the classified section) and every post gets sent to everyone in the group's e-mail? In a yahoo groups situation, you think the consultants and the "party" hosts should be allowed to do this?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our FRG website is a secure website with armyfrg.org and you have to be a military member or spouse of the unit to access the page. It is just a site that you go to for information, and is not a forum or message board type site. FRG leaders and/or members do not post any information that is not directly related to the unit or company.
  3. Living in paradise :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick's Wife View Post
    Our FRG website is a secure website with armyfrg.org and you have to be a military member or spouse of the unit to access the page. It is just a site that you go to for information, and is not a forum or message board type site. FRG leaders and/or members do not post any information that is not directly related to the unit or company.
    I looked on that site to see how different it is from what I'm talking about. The one I'm talking about is also only accessible by command family members that have to be approved, although it's not completely secure like the armyfrg.org one is. (But sensitive information is NOT discussed on it because it's not that secure.) So this would be command family members involved in the FRG promoting their consultant services on the site.

On the armyfrg.org FAQ it says "Site Administrators will be responsible for actions such as: adding content to the unit website, monitoring discussions and forums, and approving users for the unit's webpage."

Does your page just not have the discussion and forums part, or do the members know that only information directly related to the unit or company is allowed?
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

ours is just a myspace site

5. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick's Wife View Post
    And it has NOTHING!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    There is a little link to forums on the page, but when you go to it, there is nothing there.
  7. Senior Member
    check with your command about what is OK with them...most commands won't let you have one that's not on the military sight because they can't monitor it...some commands don't mind because they can make it accessable to the command...our FRG site is a navy one and it STINKS because no one can even post anything on it.
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenziesmommy View Post
    check with your command about what is OK with them...most commands won't let you have one that's not on the military sight because they can't monitor it...some commands don't mind because they can make it accessable to the command...our FRG site is a navy one and it STINKS because no one can even post anything on it.
    The command knows about it. They're fine with our site as long as we don't post sensitive information, and we're pretty good about policing ourselves on that. There's not that much sensitive anyway since our command and its locations are highly publicized.

My concern is mostly the non command stuff flooding my e-mail through the site and all the solicitations from members who are consultants or members who are just hosting parties.

I wanted to know if other FRG websites allowed it because the issue is causing a huge divide in our group (those who don't want to be basically spammed, and those who feel they have the right to post whatever they want since they're members and the site is for all members-basically like the vent on here that sunshyne just made). And this isn't really something the command is going to want to bother with. I just wanted to know the policies of other FRGs on this if they have a similiar site that allows member postings.

And I can't just unjoin/block the site/e-mails if it's bothering me that much because I'm the President of our group.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Personally, even if there was an open discussion/forum on our FRG website, I would not participate. I only check the website to gather information that I need, or to see what's going on within the company. The only thing that I think (again, my opinion) that needs to be solicited on an FRG website is fundraisers for the FRG.