Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: OMBs...does this sound ok?!?

1. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!

OMBs...does this sound ok?!?

Advertisements
    I have a meeting with the XO in the morning and need to tell him why our command needs an OMB. Right now, there isn't a point of contact between the command and families...well there is if you include the active duty spouse. LOL!!!

Most spouses come from previous commands where an ombudsman (OMB) was present. An OMB is important to have, because he/she helps families facilitate certain issues w/o having to involve the command directly.

An OMBís duties includes:

ē Serving as the primary communications link between the families and the command, and the channel of official information from the command to the families. Disseminate timely and critical information, regularly, careline/infolines, telephone trees, and e-mail. Supply information about and referrals to military and civilian support organizations like, Fleet and Family Support Centers, American Red Cross, Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society, Chaplains, medical facilities, and legal assistance offices. These organizations are valuable resources in obtaining assistance for command family members. Provide support to family members seeking professional assistance and refer them for counseling. Ombudsmen, in their official role, are not counselors or social workers. Act as an advocate for the command families, using knowledge of the system, can help access the appropriate level of the chain of command for intervention and forward suitable requests or grievances while exercising confidentiality.

ē Support command-sponsored groups and activities and advertise support group activities, as permitted by the command.

Iím sure there are plenty of questions that spouses may have that their AD spouse may not have the answer for. This is where the OMB would be useful. The OMB can help to answer spousesí questions without having to involve the command or AD spouse directly.

The OMB can also help oneís spouse to meet new friends in the area. When moving to a new place, sometimes spouses need help becoming familiarized with the area. An OMB can help answer to questions regarding schools, housing areas, nearby base information, and other possible questions about the area.

I donít believe this command should be treated any differently, in that an OMB should always be present to help the command communicate with the families and vice versa. Some spouses just donít feel comfortable speaking directly with the chain of command, so this is where the OMB would come into play.

The OMB can also help to inform families on command functions, such as the command's annual picnic, Navy Ball information, etc.

A major function of the Ombudsman is providing information, resources and referral services to the AD families. An effective ombudsman can be a great advantage to the command if one is ever appointed to get the job done. ☺

http://www.ffscnorva.navy.mil/info-omb.html
  2. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well, I mean, I'm not an ombudsman but it sounds good to me!
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Amy!!!

I just have a feeling I will get voluntold to get the job done...LOL!!!
  4. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    I was going to tell you Victoria, you'll probably get asked to take up the position
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah you probably will...mainly because other spouses either probably don't know about the position and since you are the one lobbying for it you will more than likely be asked to take on the position. Good luck and I hope you get some good feedback from the command!
  6. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    That sounds great. And you know - every flippin command needs an ombudsman. It's irritating to me that you'd have to talk them into it.

Sounds great
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
    TK
    You could reference OPNAVINST 1750.1F It is the latest Ombudsman instruction. Dated 30 Mar07 "Every command afloat or ashore is required to appoint an ombudsman."

Also, if one spouse brings it up to the command, how many other spouses are thinking it, or need the help of an ombudsman?
  8. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'd make sure to point out how having an Ombudsman would make THEIR lives easier.
  9. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I think it sounds great! And I agree with Peaty's Girl - I thought they were required to have an Ombudsman.

Good luck!
    Banned

Yea, that sounds great. I just was on that website earlier. My DH's ship doesn't have an ombudsman anymore either.