Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get to be an ombudsman?

1. Starting Over...
    Starting Over...

Question How do you get to be an ombudsman?

Advertisements
    ...Or get involved with FRG leadership? I'm curious as to how ombudsmans' are trained, picked, etc.
    I am Megly McTenderhearted - dubbed so by eelo.

2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    An ombudsman is appointed by the CO or XO if the CO delegates the task. In some cases, the CMC will decide. You interview for the position, and then take training classes.

FRG involvement usually starts by either contacting the current FRG president/leader and finding out about meetings and getting involved from there. More established FRGs hold elections for president and other group officers. If there is no FRG at your command, contact your ombudsman and express interest. She'll relay that to the command and hopefully can get something going.

Both are completely volunteer, and I strongly urge those who don't have the time and patience to deal with the duty not to take on the positions.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Senior Member
    I was one at my DH last ship. I was picked by the CMC. I knew one of the ombudsman that was leaving and she talked to me about it, then she recommended me to the CMC. I also had a week long training I had to go to. I hope this helped you out.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    If you are that interested, have your DH speak to the CMC. If they have an opening come up, then he has a name to go to. Our Ombudsmen are doing a horrible job at DH's command and I have already let DH know that I would be more than willing to volunteer for the position. I think they are going to fire both after the deployment because there have been so many complaints.
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    An ombudsman is appointed by the CO or XO if the CO delegates the task. In some cases, the CMC will decide. You interview for the position, and then take training classes.

FRG involvement usually starts by either contacting the current FRG president/leader and finding out about meetings and getting involved from there. More established FRGs hold elections for president and other group officers. If there is no FRG at your command, contact your ombudsman and express interest. She'll relay that to the command and hopefully can get something going.

Both are completely volunteer, and I strongly urge those who don't have the time and patience to deal with the duty not to take on the positions.

at our last command when the last ombudsmans left the previous ombudsmans put who they would like to see in the position, other commands they have an open application for the position.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I agree with Melissa!

I was actually lucky, they asked me if I would like to be Ombudsman for this Command. Now I did have to interview with the CO and now I have my training next week.

But I did volunteer to do this job.
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    I agree with Melissa!

I was actually lucky, they asked me if I would like to be Ombudsman for this Command. Now I did have to interview with the CO and now I have my training next week.

But I did volunteer to do this job.
    One command of G's tried to actually force the position onto me.. Basically saying oh, you're a leader now, your wife should step up. G told them politely that I wasn't in the Navy and they couldn't "require" that of me.

I did however volunteer as FRG president to get our last command's group going. I liked that position, because I didn't have to deal with being "on call" 24/7. I planned meetings, and called/emailed the wives once a week to check in.

and thatís all I need

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

WOW Melissa... thats crazy they tried to force the position on you. Sheesh..some commands

Im glad they didnt try to force me because I would of said heck no
  9. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    WOW Melissa... thats crazy they tried to force the position on you. Sheesh..some commands

Im glad they didnt try to force me because I would of said heck no
    It was mainly because there was very little spouse involvement, and the CO "needed" to fill the position ASAP.. I can't even remember who took it because I was never contacted, no biggie to me since they weren't deployed at the time.

I've definately had my share of meddling ombudsmen, but I have personally known 2 ladies who did a great job at it.. it takes time, dedication and patience.

and thatís all I need

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yeah its going to be time consuming for me, but there are 2 others in this command that we are splitting everything with.

I havent even had to get ahold of anyone yet.... I am looking forward to it though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast