Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diapers, Anyone?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Cloth Diapers, Anyone?

Advertisements
    Is anyone looking for cloth diapers? Specifically Goodmama brand fitteds/hybrids and some great WAHM hybrid fitteds?

If anyone is, let me know! I'm trying to sell off about a third of my stash because it's just out of control and I'm going to be listing at rock bottom prices! Mostly boy/gender neutral prints
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I want to do cloth and stock up before our pcs pack out in 2.5 months. I've never heard of that brand. Can you tell me about them?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    I want to do cloth and stock up before our pcs pack out in 2.5 months. I've never heard of that brand. Can you tell me about them?
    They are an amazing brand! I love my GM, they're what made me fall in love with cloth diapering! For one, they are made in he USA and the company employs moms who work from their house, for the most part, which I really love because it supports other moms/parents.

The diapers themselves are fitteds or hybrids which mean the entire diaper is absorbent, not just the insert. Because of this, they're not completely waterproof so if you want them waterproof, you would want a couple covers (either wool or PUL). However most in Goodmama-land just go cover less except for night time because you change so often either way. Neither kid had covers and we did just fine. For long trips they wore their wool and same for bed. Also, because of this, they're extremely breathable diapers which is great for warm/sticky weather and keeping rashes at bay. That was the big selling point for us because I originally switched to cloth because Wyatt was allergic to disposables and then I found out he was allergic to PUL/TPU which is in the waterproof brand diapers.

Oh, mine are all one size which started going on Emmett when he was 10ish lbs and they go up to roughly 35lbs so you can pretty much go from just slightly over newborn to potty training. She does make NB diapers which are great but if you are looking to cloth NB, go with a diaper rental, do spend the money I did that with Emmett and it was awesome!

Now, these brand new are not cheap. You can look in her store thegoodmama.com, she just switched to that new cart so it's a little bare but that gives you an idea on new price. Most of mine are gonna be listed way cheaper than that just because I really need to thin the herd and whenever I sell in bulk I always do discounts

These, to me, are like the cadilac of diapers. I lovvvvvee them and they're worth every penny (hence why I have so many).
  4. Senior Member
    I'd potentially be interested too, depending on what be:pistachio decides. We originally were planning on doing fitteds with covers but a family I babysit for is giving me their entire stash of bumgenius all in ones since their youngest is completely potty trained. I'd still like to have a few fitteds in my stash, just in case we are using fitteds with our newborn just because it seems the most practical.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    They are an amazing brand! I love my GM, they're what made me fall in love with cloth diapering! For one, they are made in he USA and the company employs moms who work from their house, for the most part, which I really love because it supports other moms/parents.

The diapers themselves are fitteds or hybrids which mean the entire diaper is absorbent, not just the insert. Because of this, they're not completely waterproof so if you want them waterproof, you would want a couple covers (either wool or PUL). However most in Goodmama-land just go cover less except for night time because you change so often either way. Neither kid had covers and we did just fine. For long trips they wore their wool and same for bed. Also, because of this, they're extremely breathable diapers which is great for warm/sticky weather and keeping rashes at bay. That was the big selling point for us because I originally switched to cloth because Wyatt was allergic to disposables and then I found out he was allergic to PUL/TPU which is in the waterproof brand diapers.

Oh, mine are all one size which started going on Emmett when he was 10ish lbs and they go up to roughly 35lbs so you can pretty much go from just slightly over newborn to potty training. She does make NB diapers which are great but if you are looking to cloth NB, go with a diaper rental, do spend the money I did that with Emmett and it was awesome!

Now, these brand new are not cheap. You can look in her store thegoodmama.com, she just switched to that new cart so it's a little bare but that gives you an idea on new price. Most of mine are gonna be listed way cheaper than that just because I really need to thin the herd and whenever I sell in bulk I always do discounts

These, to me, are like the cadilac of diapers. I lovvvvvee them and they're worth every penny (hence why I have so many).

This is really helpful! Thank you! I have my 8 week ultrasound next week, so I should hold off until at least then on buying any. If Jane wants some, no need to wait for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I'd potentially be interested too, depending on what be:pistachio decides. We originally were planning on doing fitteds with covers but a family I babysit for is giving me their entire stash of bumgenius all in ones since their youngest is completely potty trained. I'd still like to have a few fitteds in my stash, just in case we are using fitteds with our newborn just because it seems the most practical.
    I'm registered for bum genius and don't even know the difference between all-in-one and fitted. HALP.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    This is really helpful! Thank you! I have my 8 week ultrasound next week, so I should hold off until at least then on buying any. If Jane wants some, no need to wait for me.

I'm registered for bum genius and don't even know the difference between all-in-one and fitted. HALP.
    No problem! It may be a few days for me to actually get to the point of being able to take pics and pricing because I'm trying to get rid of so many so no rush!

Jane - fitteds on a NB were so, so awesome! Those and wool made for cute pictures, too you lucked out with being gifted a stash!! Fitteds make awesome overnight diapers!

Pistachio- All in Ones have the PUL so they are waterproof and the insert is either permanently attached or built in (I'm not too familiar with BG construction) so they are just looking like a cloth disposable. They do take much longer to dry because everything is all together and I can't really speak on their absorbency level just because I've never used that brand
  7. Senior Member
    Ok, so I've done waaaaay more research into cloth than I probably care to admit. There are a few different types: all in ones, pockets/all in twos, and then either fitteds, prefolds, or flats (that you purchase a separate cover for to make waterproof). Pockets/all in twos don't appeal to me at all because it involves stuffing the diaper each time after you wash it and all the pieces dry and that just seems like way too much work for someone who hates laundry as much as I do. So basically I had to decide whether I wanted a seperate cover or an all in one.

The pros of a seperate cover is that a) less dry time because there are two seperate pieces, b) more economical because you only need 5-6 covers and then you purchased your fitteds/prefolds/flats separately and c) more customizable, for when your child starts sleeping through the night and wets more heavily, you can easily add an insert, double up, get a wool cover, etc. The pros of an all in one is that it literally is just one diaper. So easy--you put it on like a disposable and snap it and that's it. Easy for all involved, but especially grandma/grandpa or any caregiver.

Finally, the difference between prefolds/fitteds/flats. Prefolds are a many layered piece of cotton (or sometimes other material) that has been sewn together into a flat sheet. The middle is thicker than the sides because the middle is where you need the most absorbency. You take the prefold and fold it into the desired shape and either pin or snappi it on the baby, and then put a cover over. When the baby needs to be changed, you can usually reuse the cover and just put on a new prefold. Fitteds are prefolds that have been made into a diaper already. Some, like the goodmommas, are super cute and patterned and colorful. Some, like the kind I plan to use with my newborn, are plain organic cotton (they are the cloth-eez workhorse kind on green mountain diapers) with no snaps. Still, it's already in diaper shape and you just snappi it on and put a cover over it. I've heard this is the best way to contain newborn poo. Finally, flats are one sheet that is the same thickness all the way across I believe. I'm not 100% positive but that's because it's like no one uses those lol.

Hopefully that makes sense. We should totally follow each other on Pinterest and share our registries... I've been agonizing over a lot of this stuff the past few days!
  8. Senior Member
    Also, everything I've read says a variety is nice to have. So we're getting 12 fitteds and 12 prefolds with 6 covers for our newborn (since I'm being gifted a stash from a friend for when the baby is bigger, I don't feel bad buying the stuff for a newborn so we can cloth from the beginning). I'll be staying home, so I figure we can use that period to figure out whether fitteds are THAT much better than prefolds (cause they are way more expensive!) and go from there. I figure we can have the all in ones for when we are out and about and when dad/grandmas/grandpas are watching the baby so it's not so overwhelming, and also for when I'm feeling lazy. If we get more fitteds for after the newborn stage, I have a feeling we'll use those at night, but we'll see.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If you have any nbs I would be interested
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    If you have any nbs I would be interested
    Nope, only OS. I rented the bulk of my NB diapers and the few I have left are staying forever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast