Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Different Options when using paypal

  1. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    SandyKay's Avatar
    SandyKay is offline
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    32,613

    #1

    Different Options when using paypal

    Advertisements
    Just thought I would mention this (only just found this out)as a lot of people use paypal on here.

    When sending money through paypal, there are different options for what you are paying for either Purchase (ebay item, service, purchase, etc) or Personal (gift, payment owed, living expenses).

    If you choose a "Personal" option the other person does not get charged a fee and if it comes directly out or your bank or paypal account, neither do you if paying by credit card then, you the sender will have a small fee. If you choose "Purchase" Then it is free for you to send the money, however the other person will be charged a small fee when recieving the purchase. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...y-fees-outside

    However it is at your own risk:

    Quote Originally Posted by momrisner View Post
    This is from the latest Policy updates on Paypal's site:

    Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

    Effective Date: June 3, 2009

    Beginning June 3, 2009 PayPal user agreement is being amended as follows:

    1. Section 4.2 of the user agreement will read as follows:

    1.“4.2 Receiving Payments for Commercial Transactions and Personal Transactions.

    a. Fees depend on whether you are making a commercial transaction or a personal transaction. A commercial transaction involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a “request money” using PayPal. A personal transaction involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

    b. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a personal payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept personal payments.”
    Last edited by SandyKay; 09-03-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added quote


  2. Account Closed
    Rach's Avatar
    Rach is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,957
    #2
    Wow, thanks! I was getting a small fee taken out, as the seller, and I thought it was just cuz they were using a credit card.

    I always have it taken out of my bank account when I buy something, so I hope no one I bought from was charged anything.

    Good to know!
  3. Senior Member
    imjustme's Avatar
    imjustme is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,974
    #3
    I do this for people I trust. I'm not sure how it affects your ability to file a claim if there is a problem, so when Ebaying, etc I use the payment option anyway.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    SandyKay's Avatar
    SandyKay is offline
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    32,613

    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    Wow, thanks! I was getting a small fee taken out, as the seller, and I thought it was just cuz they were using a credit card.

    I always have it taken out of my bank account when I buy something, so I hope no one I bought from was charged anything.

    Good to know!
    I was too and then someone mentioned it to me, so I decided to look it up. I had no idea that option was even there.


  5. Account Closed
    Rach's Avatar
    Rach is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,957
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
    I do this for people I trust. I'm not sure how it affects your ability to file a claim if there is a problem, so when Ebaying, etc I use the payment option anyway.
    What do you mean by this? When I use my bank account, it doesn't show the full account #...(asking cuz maybe I haven't been being too safe, so wondering if there is info showing that I haven't noticed).
  6. Senior Member
    imjustme's Avatar
    imjustme is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,974
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    What do you mean by this? When I use my bank account, it doesn't show the full account #...(asking cuz maybe I haven't been being too safe, so wondering if there is info showing that I haven't noticed).
    As I said, I'm not sure how using that option affects your ability to make a claim if for some reason there is a problem with the transaction. If I'm selecting to send a payment as a personal payment and then tell Paypal that I need to file a claim because my item purchased from Ebay, etc was never sent, I'm not sure how that would work. If I am purchasing from someone I know and trust to take care of a problem if there is one, I will use the personal option.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    SandyKay's Avatar
    SandyKay is offline
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    32,613

    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    What do you mean by this? When I use my bank account, it doesn't show the full account #...(asking cuz maybe I haven't been being too safe, so wondering if there is info showing that I haven't noticed).
    I am assuming "trust" as in trust she'll get what she is paying for. No acct info shows up from what I have seen, it's just like an e-check.


  8. Account Closed
    Rach's Avatar
    Rach is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,957
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
    As I said, I'm not sure how using that option affects your ability to make a claim if for some reason there is a problem with the transaction. If I'm selecting to send a payment as a personal payment and then tell Paypal that I need to file a claim because my item purchased from Ebay, etc was never sent, I'm not sure how that would work. If I am purchasing from someone I know and trust to take care of a problem if there is one, I will use the personal option.
    Makes sense...Good question.
  9. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    momrisner's Avatar
    momrisner is offline
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gibson City, Illinois
    Posts
    772
    Blog Entries
    3

    #9
    I had upgraded my account to a business account a few years ago, so I am not sure how it works. When people buy from me, I don't get the full amount. But, I don't raise my prices to compensate either. On this forum for example, I just take the small loss. On Ebay, I just hope to get a higher offer on the items I am selling.
  10. Senior Member
    mackenziesmommy's Avatar
    mackenziesmommy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,203
    #10
    I think what she's saying is if it's from a friend or someone she trusts she'll do it as personal, but if it's an ebay purchase or from someone she doesn't know is going to send the stuff she does it the regular way incase Paypal doesn't let you do a claim on the money if it's for personal reasons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •