Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Baby Can Read

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Your Baby Can Read

Advertisements
    I just wanted to share with other people that might have seen this and was curious about it.. We got it for DS a few months back now, and He loves it and it really does work if you work with them, and do it like they say and illistrates for you, it will work DS just turned 4 last monday, and we have had this product for a few months and he is already starting to read words, and I have no doubt that by the end of the year he will be ready small books by himself..

Anyone else have good results from this program?

God didn't have time to make a nobody." Mary Kay Ash.
    Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Considering his age you could save a lot of money and do the same thing with him just by having him read things like Dick and Jane to you.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    we really like this program, We have been reading to him since he was in the belly. We have always set aside a reading time everyday, to read books. And we sit down and do this program with him. DO YOU HAVE THIS PROGRAM? Cause its not just something that you stick in and let him do by himself. after the DVD is done you run though the Flash Cards with him, and you play the games with the words and read the books, and point out the words that we just saw. I dont really feel like we spent that much money on it, Little over a houndred dollors thats a small price to pay for my sons future. I mean how many times do we go to the store or order something for ourselves, or for the household and cant really see where it made a difference.

Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    From what I can tell, it is just saying a word, showing the word, showing what the word is... repeat.

That isn't worth over 100 dollars... that is just common sense.

Does it teach how to sound words out? Or does it only teach a certain set of words and bollocks when they move on to reading more difficult books that have words they never learned and now don't have the skills to sound out and learn on their own?
  5. I love dress whites!!
    I love dress whites!!
    We have it, I started Kaitlyn on it at 6 months and we love it. It has made a huge difference with her and I also have a friend who has done the same with her daughter. She recognizes quite a few words and knows all her body parts and lots of animals, she also squeals everytime we put it on, she loves her videos!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBryTree View Post
    From what I can tell, it is just saying a word, showing the word, showing what the word is... repeat.

That isn't worth over 100 dollars... that is just common sense.

Does it teach how to sound words out? Or does it only teach a certain set of words and bollocks when they move on to reading more difficult books that have words they never learned and now don't have the skills to sound out and learn on their own?
    I dont really see how that is common sense, I think its worth it you may not, my husband thinks that it was worth it, anyone I have ever met that has acutally used it or bought it thinks it was the best investment they could have done for thier child.
    There is more to it than showing the word, showing what the word is and repeat.., It shows them how to sound out words, it shows present and past by adding ed at the end of words, and what happens when you add an S, it tells them the whole I before E, it shows ryming words and why they ryme, and alot more than just that... A 100 dollors was WAY WORTH it..

Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    we really like this program, We have been reading to him since he was in the belly. We have always set aside a reading time everyday, to read books. And we sit down and do this program with him. DO YOU HAVE THIS PROGRAM? Cause its not just something that you stick in and let him do by himself. after the DVD is done you run though the Flash Cards with him, and you play the games with the words and read the books, and point out the words that we just saw. I dont really feel like we spent that much money on it, Little over a houndred dollors thats a small price to pay for my sons future. I mean how many times do we go to the store or order something for ourselves, or for the household and cant really see where it made a difference.
    No I don't have the program and I was not assuming what you do or do not do as I was just giving my opinion on the product. Considering your little ones age what you were already doing was great and age appropriate.

Babies such as the ones that program is geared (your child is not a baby, your child is a preschooler) for do not need to be learning to read. There are developmental steps to everything babies do and when you put the cart before the horse it can cause issues in other areas of development.

A parent can save themselves the expense of a $200 + program and just read with their child every night for about 15 min and it will do the same thing just at a slower more developmentally friendly pace. These programs prey on parents, a nine month old doesn't need to read its not developmentally appropriate.

I know that when I am having my 6 year old read to me (which is a natural progression from reading to him) I have him sound out the words. I don't need a video to show my child how to do something I can show him.
  8. Senior Member
    i dont have kids so i dont have it put i saw something about it on tv before and it seemed really awesome. A boy who couldn't speak could pick out from two words which word you were saying. Like two cards one said cat one said dog the parents asked which one said cat and he would show you. He had more complex words than that and he got it right everytime.

They showed other kids doing it too. I thought it was really amazing

I think it's awesome it's working for you as well
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We used it in the daycare and I believe it is VERY beneficial if its started when the child is young (like 6 months)... I also believe teaching them sign language at this age is even more benifical...

However if you start it after the age 2.5-3 I really think it is a waste of money because at that age they should be able to start putting words together and beginning sound out words (at least that is my experience and when we start teaching them basic reading skills)...
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post
    No I don't have the program and I was not assuming what you do or do not do as I was just giving my opinion on the product. Considering your little ones age what you were already doing was great and age appropriate.

Babies such as the ones that program is geared (your child is not a baby, your child is a preschooler) for do not need to be learning to read. There are developmental steps to everything babies do and when you put the cart before the horse it can cause issues in other areas of development.

A parent can save themselves the expense of a $200 + program and just read with their child every night for about 15 min and it will do the same thing just at a slower more developmentally friendly pace. These programs prey on parents, a nine month old doesn't need to read its not developmentally appropriate.

I know that when I am having my 6 year old read to me (which is a natural progression from reading to him) I have him sound out the words. I don't need a video to show my child how to do something I can show him.
    I dont really think there is anything wrong with me teaching my 4 yr old to read, I dont really see how its going to slow him down in other areas...
    He also knows his ABC's, can count to 20 on his own and knows all of his colors, does that mean he is going to be slow in other areas as well?? He is solcialized with other kids his age, so his social skills are there as well.
    So I am confused and dont really see how him learning to read at an early age is going to "damage" developmental areas... Everyone has thier own parental teachings, and what they do with thier child, just because it may not be a way that you might go about doing doesnt mean that its wrong. I feel that I am giving my child an advantage before he starts school, you may not agree, thats your proagitive, and this is mine.. Thats my opinion on it..

Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast