Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Baby Can Read

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    I never said you don't read to your child I said that by reading to him you were already doing what the program is. I am sorry you feel attacked but it is my opinion on a product not on your parenting choices. My opinion on said product has nothing to do with you.

My opinion is based on what I have been taught at school about childhood development and my own personal beliefs for child rearing. Just because I feel a product is not needed does not mean you can't like the product.

I stand by what I said YOU are already doing what you need to do by reading to and with your child you don't need a video to do what you already have been and know how to do.

As for babies whom the product is marketed for it is not developmentally appropriate because a NT non special needs child needs to know how to talk before learning how to read. Talking comes first because then when they read a word they make the connection between words they hear in conversation. The word then means something to them beyond just being a word with no connection to anything else.

In the infomercial the program is aimed at babies and young toddlers not preschoolers so all of my responses toward this product come from the stand point that it is primarily sold on the basis that parents will be teaching their babies how to read. Not their preschool aged kids.

Again it is my opinion on the product not you.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ok let me just make another reply here, I wasnt meaning to attack anyone for their opion on this product, obviously we are not always going to agree or feel the same way..
    I just also want to make it apoint to say:
    Yes I read to my son and was reading to him before I got this program but I dont feel that I would have gotten as far with teaching my son to read without it, We are not all teachers and there are things in this program that I wouldnt of even been able to fathem how to go about teaching my child, and this program has helped me with that, and has helped me further my childs reading ability before he goes into school next year that I would have been able to do with out it..

So again let me appolagize if I anyones head off.. Sorry if I took things to personal and felt as if they were attacks towards my parenting skills.

God didn't have time to make a nobody." Mary Kay Ash.
    Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    thank you so much for the info sweetness. I've been seeing the commercials for this program and I've been wanting to know if it really is beneficial
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Your Baby Can Read is the BEST program I have ever seen. My GD has been on the program since she was 7 months old. I work with kids her age 3 times a week and you can tell a huge difference between your baby can read babies and average babies.

GD is 2 in april & has been speaking in full sentences since she was 13 months old. The program not only teaches reading but body parts, animals, colors, shapes, & songs.

People in the store are amazed when she clearly says "No, I don't want chips."

As for the words she does pick up on some words but her mother hasn't been as consistent with the flash cards.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post
    No I don't have the program and I was not assuming what you do or do not do as I was just giving my opinion on the product. Considering your little ones age what you were already doing was great and age appropriate.

Babies such as the ones that program is geared (your child is not a baby, your child is a preschooler) for do not need to be learning to read. There are developmental steps to everything babies do and when you put the cart before the horse it can cause issues in other areas of development.

A parent can save themselves the expense of a $200 + program and just read with their child every night for about 15 min and it will do the same thing just at a slower more developmentally friendly pace. These programs prey on parents, a nine month old doesn't need to read its not developmentally appropriate.

I know that when I am having my 6 year old read to me (which is a natural progression from reading to him) I have him sound out the words. I don't need a video to show my child how to do something I can show him.

Why read to your child when they can read to you?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123