Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Baby Can Read

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Ok again I was not talking about YOUR child or even a FOUR year old I am talking about BABIES. This program is designed for BABIES not preschoolers. I am not understanding why you asked for opinions on the product only to turn around and get defensive if someone says from an early childhood development point of view the product is not really needed as developmentally BABIES (0-12 months) have no need for reading. The reason being they are learning how to crawl, speak, walk, and other developmental skills which are needed more then memorizing words.

Nothing I said was even along the lines of don't teach your children to read and I also did not say anyone was wrong in buying the program.
  2. Senior Member
    I say let babies be babies. I am not going to freak out if my 9 month can not recognize the word "dog".

As for ds who is 4. We read to him and work with him and his letters.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post
    Ok again I was not talking about YOUR child or even a FOUR year old I am talking about BABIES. This program is designed for BABIES not preschoolers. I am not understanding why you asked for opinions on the product only to turn around and get defensive if someone says from an early childhood development point of view the product is not really needed as developmentally BABIES (0-12 months) have no need for reading. The reason being they are learning how to crawl, speak, walk, and other developmental skills which are needed more then memorizing words.

Nothing I said was even along the lines of don't teach your children to read and I also did not say anyone was wrong in buying the program.
    I have to agree with the bolded... OP you asked for opinions on the product and thats what she gave you, her opinion on the product... There is no need to take her comments as personal attacks...

The product is called "your baby can read", it is not intended to be used on a 4 year old, that is not a personal attack towards you, its a fact... can you use it on older children, of course... but you asked for product reviews
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with Sophie 100%. How is it beneficial for a baby to learn to read anyway? Just seems like people want their kids to grow up too fast, IMO. I want my baby to babble, spit food, shit his pants and break things. He can read when he's old enough.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I understand that the program is called YOUR BABY CAN READ, But its not just geared towards infants it also towards toddlers, At the age of 5yrs old, Thier brain development is roughly 90% complete. So any thing you teach, or help your child learn before then is very benni.
    Your childs Brain could be thought of as a highly responsice, self-programming, nartural computer. ( I want to emphasize that your childs brain is not actually a computer, I'm using this metaphor to help explain brain development.) For the first few years, the hardware is still coming together- a child is not a finished product, but a growing, developing individual, complete with organic. "Circuitry"- the cental nervous system. A childs ability to self-program depends on enviromental stimulation..
    The earlier you stimulate your childs neural circuitry, the more efficiently it develops; its programs are cleaner, and its file space is larger- so, the more efficiently your childs brain runs the mmore skills and knowledge it can master. as your child gets older. his or her brain finalizes more and more of its programming, so without additional stimulation that circuitry will set in with less effficient pathways..

God didn't have time to make a nobody." Mary Kay Ash.
    Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post
    Considering his age you could save a lot of money and do the same thing with him just by having him read things like **** and Jane to you.
    Yes I took, this as a personal attack, hence my responses following this reply. from reading this it sounded and still sounds that way to me, I could be wrong but what I got from this was, that I dont read to my child, and that maybe I soley rely on the program to teach my child.And that is far from the truth.

Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think she's just saying that at your child's age he could take the same things from just reading books with you as he would from an expensive program. I don't think she means that you don't read to him, just that you don't need the program necessarily.

ETA: For the record, I am not against anyone buying the program.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Yes I took, this as a personal attack, hence my responses following this reply. from reading this it sounded and still sounds that way to me, I could be wrong but what I got from this was, that I dont read to my child, and that maybe I soley rely on the program to teach my child.And that is far from the truth.
    I dont think thats what she said or meant at all... But that in her opinion the program is a waste of money, and the same thing could be achieved by reading to your child... never once did she say that you soley rely on this program and dont read with your child...
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzle Mizzle View Post
    I agree with Sophie 100%. How is it beneficial for a baby to learn to read anyway? Just seems like people want their kids to grow up too fast, IMO. I want my baby to babble, spit food, **** his pants and break things. He can read when he's old enough.
    I wasnt saying not to let babies be babies, or that I want my kid to grow up faster than he already is, I wish he could stay little forever, he is the only one I will ever have, But I also feel my job as a parent is to give my child every advantage that I can, So teaching him to read early I think is a great way to get him ready for that..
    I am not attacking you or what you said please dont take it that way I just wanted to give my opinion from my view of it.

Wifey to LukesLilTrooper
    www.marykay.com/nbreaux
    nbreaux@marykay.com
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    I wasnt saying not to let babies be babies, or that I want my kid to grow up faster than he already is, I wish he could stay little forever, he is the only one I will ever have, But I also feel my job as a parent is to give my child every advantage that I can, So teaching him to read early I think is a great way to get him ready for that..
    I am not attacking you or what you said please dont take it that way I just wanted to give my opinion from my view of it.
    Well, my baby is just 5 months old, so I was responding more towards teaching little babies. But, I have a 4 year old as well, and I work with him daily on pretty much everything. So, I don't feel like you are pushing things on him that he shouldn't be doing at his age.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast