Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ya girl’s got a job

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Sounds awesome! What are those herbs though, I need to try them. Always looking for new spices to taste.
    They’re Australian native plants, so you’d have to hunt for them, but you might be able to find them if you really search. I like the idea of using native spices to bring out the best in the native meat.

Wattleseed is exactly what it sounds like - the roasted, ground seeds of acacia/wattle species. It’s nutty, a little sweet. I use it in ice cream surprisingly often! It goes very well with coffee too.

Dorrigo pepper is sometimes sold as mountain pepper or Tasmanian pepper. There’s a whole sub-family of plants. Everything can be used, from fruit to leaves to roots - think black pepper with a kind of fruity richness at the back. Pepperleaf is a little more subtle than pepperberries, and it doesn’t leave the purple stain that the berries do, so I had the leaf in mind this time.

Lemon myrtle is a kind of low bush, and you’re using the leaves. It’s kind of a cross between lemon, lime and lemongrass. Honestly, if it reminds me of anything, it’s like a less sweet Sprite, right down to that cool little tingle!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Congrats on the new job! It sounds like its going to be awesome for you! Also, I am really enjoying learning about native Australian plants/herbs
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    They’re Australian native plants, so you’d have to hunt for them, but you might be able to find them if you really search. I like the idea of using native spices to bring out the best in the native meat.

Wattleseed is exactly what it sounds like - the roasted, ground seeds of acacia/wattle species. It’s nutty, a little sweet. I use it in ice cream surprisingly often! It goes very well with coffee too.

Dorrigo pepper is sometimes sold as mountain pepper or Tasmanian pepper. There’s a whole sub-family of plants. Everything can be used, from fruit to leaves to roots - think black pepper with a kind of fruity richness at the back. Pepperleaf is a little more subtle than pepperberries, and it doesn’t leave the purple stain that the berries do, so I had the leaf in mind this time.

Lemon myrtle is a kind of low bush, and you’re using the leaves. It’s kind of a cross between lemon, lime and lemongrass. Honestly, if it reminds me of anything, it’s like a less sweet Sprite, right down to that cool little tingle!
    I did some googling and it seems I could buy them online so I may! Especially the pepper one.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Congrats on the new job! It sounds like its going to be awesome for you! Also, I am really enjoying learning about native Australian plants/herbs
    I’m enjoying it so far. I have a good crew.

It’s only relatively recently (I would say in the last twenty to thirty years) that native bush-foods, with the notable exception of macadamias (yes, those are ours!) really hit the mainstream. They’re still not often farmed - even the companies making them commercially available are almost always working on the basis that their product is wild and has to be collected rather than cultivated.

There’s a lot of potential though, so I’m glad they’re recognised.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I did some googling and it seems I could buy them online so I may! Especially the pepper one.
    There’s a particular brand of hot sauce Husband likes that uses mountain pepper. We can’t seem to find it anywhere locally, so he bothers my brother to post him bottles of it
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12