Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Not sure if ingredients will stay fresh

1. Regular Member

Not sure if ingredients will stay fresh

Advertisements
    I want to send a package over to my DB, but not sure if the ingredients in mind will stay fresh. He really likes this speciality grocery shop in our home state. A couple ingredients I'm thinking about sending over is some pre made/packaged hummus and that sauce they put in gyros so that he can make his own gyros. Any idea on how long either of those items will remain good while unrefridgerated?

It typically takes 5-7 days for packages to reach him.

Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
    If it’s the gyro sauce I’m thinking of, isn’t it yogurt-based? I wouldn’t ship anything that needs to be kept refrigerated
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    If it’s the gyro sauce I’m thinking of, isn’t it yogurt-based? I wouldn’t ship anything that needs to be kept refrigerated
    Yeah it is. I’m not sure I’d send hummus either, I’ve never seen shelf stable hummus.
  4. Senior Member
    No way that stuff would keep. ESP the yogurt. I wouldn’t send hummus either though.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah it is. I’m not sure I’d send hummus either, I’ve never seen shelf stable hummus.
    I have. It DOES exist, but you’d have to do a search specifically for it. Wild Garden might be a brand to look for. Pacific, too. Both sell single-serving packets which they say are stable.

OP, I wouldn’t send the tzatziki sauce. I HAVE seen shelf-stable tzatziki, but it’s not very good and tends to come in glass jars which wouldn’t ship well. Hummus possibly, yogurt-based sauce no.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Regular Member
    Oh wow I'm glad I asked! I wasn't aware of the specific ingredients in either item so you all saved me from making about an hour trek somewhere. I'll have to think of something else! (: