Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Christmas in Japan

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Smile Christmas in Japan

Advertisements
    Hi everyone!
    Has anyone ever ordered an item online at an American based website or huge company like Zumiez and sent it to Japan or anywhere out of the country? I was wondering how the shipping works?
    And also when shipping a care package with a flat rate box from USPS do you have to pay extra fees to ship out of the country?
    This is my first time havin my gf out of the country! It's a little nerve racking and it's hard bc we talk less so I want to do something really special for Christmas since she'll be away from all of us.

THANK YOU!
  2. Senior Member
    She should have an APO address that you can use to send care packages. Using a flat rate you will pay for shipping to San Fran and the package will be transferred to military for delivery. I sent packages monthly when DB was in Oki and it was very affordable, just be aware that it can take a long time for the packages to get there. One of mine took over a month once. If you order online I think a lot of major companies will ship to APO as well, haven't tried that though.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Okay so I should ask her for this APO address?
  4. Senior Member
    Yup, I would ask. Its the least expensive way to send packages if its available.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you so much for your help! ������
  6. Senior Member
    Yes, APO is definitely the way to go. You pay the same rates as you would for shipping within the States. It usually takes me about 9-11 days to get packages, but it will be longer during the holiday rush. However, that is *only* if stuff ships USPS. Anything going FedEx or UPS can take literally months, so do not order stuff that doesn't ship USPS. Sometimes you luck out and a Fed Ex Box will arrive in about the same amount of time, but anything not USPS goes Space A, which is especially bad during the holidays. They fill up the planes with USPS stuff, and then if there is space the FedEx and UPS stuff gets added.

For stuff you ship yourself, you do need to fill out a customs form. They have them at the post office, or you can do them online at the USPS website.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    How do you find out if a website ships FED EX or USPS though? Is that a dumb question? I've never really looked lol
  8. Senior Member
    Usually it will say somewhere in the area where it tells you about shipping costs and times. If not, you can always email and ask. Amazon sends pretty much everything USPS (assuming it's bought from Amazon and not one of their third-party sellers).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski