Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cancer care package

1. Senior Member

Cancer care package

Advertisements
    I posted a thread a few months ago about my best friends mom being diagnosed with breast cancer. She started treatments not too long ago and is doing fairly well. The outcome looks really good.

Since I'm not there to give much of a helping hand I want to send a care package. What would you suggest I send? I was thinking some tea and something of her favorite animals- penguins and cats. Like one of those wax melters, there are some with animals on them and I'm sure I could find a cat one. She does like candles so I know it's something she'd use.

But I don't know what else to send. She's the closest person to me that has had to go through chemo so I don't really know what would be comforting for her.
  2. Senior Member
    I hear that the treatments require spending a lot of time at the hospital. So, how about books, DVDs, and a nice cozy blanket.

3. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I hear that the treatments require spending a lot of time at the hospital. So, how about books, DVDs, and a nice cozy blanket.
    I worked for the oncology department for a specialty pharmacy and one of the things the patients said was there was a lot of time spent in the hospital and with chemo some times just feeling that great at home. I think the wax warmer would be a good idea also maybe some gift cards for her favorite restaurants ( although chemo can change taste buds so double check that one) or even see if there is a cleaning service you can do a gift certificate for.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    love this idea! Even Sudoku puzzles, cross word puzzles or adult drawing books.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Senior Member
    Thank you! I think she only goes once or twice a week for a few hours, she's not staying in the hospital luckily. But of course it can get boring so I'm sure she'd love a good book or puzzle to pass the time. The cleaning service would be wonderful for her. I don't think that would have ever crossed my mind. Thank you all for the helpful ideas!
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Thank you! I think she only goes once or twice a week for a few hours, she's not staying in the hospital luckily. But of course it can get boring so I'm sure she'd love a good book or puzzle to pass the time. The cleaning service would be wonderful for her. I don't think that would have ever crossed my mind. Thank you all for the helpful ideas!
    I know you're trying to be helpful, but this bolded statement is very dismissive. I do both inpatient and out patient treatments regularly (not cancer, life long disease) and both take a toll. I don't mean that to be critical, but just to let you know those kind of statements can be harmful.

For things I like in illness......paper planners/journals/coloring books with pens/pencils and stickers. I also enjoy a good lip balm, leave in hair conditioner. Snacks are nice to have around even in case you have an appetite. If you know what type of book she likes that is good. I like puzzles, but it can be hard to have a space to do them so a puzzle mat might be nice.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I know you're trying to be helpful, but this bolded statement is very dismissive. I do both inpatient and out patient treatments regularly (not cancer, life long disease) and both take a toll. I don't mean that to be critical, but just to let you know those kind of statements can be harmful.

For things I like in illness......paper planners/journals/coloring books with pens/pencils and stickers. I also enjoy a good lip balm, leave in hair conditioner. Snacks are nice to have around even in case you have an appetite. If you know what type of book she likes that is good. I like puzzles, but it can be hard to have a space to do them so a puzzle mat might be nice.
    You're right, I didn't realize how that came across. I definitely didn't mean it like that.

Thank you for the ideas!
  8. Senior Member
    My mother had cancer, and a few of the things she ALWAYS needed.. chapstick (the chemo dried out her lips), lotion (same reason), a throw blanket and plush socks (she was ALWAYS cold). She liked to read, so she always had a book with her. During chemo, she got so sick that anything to snack on eat would make her vomit, but she really liked having gum or a peppermint.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    My mother had cancer, and a few of the things she ALWAYS needed.. chapstick (the chemo dried out her lips), lotion (same reason), a throw blanket and plush socks (she was ALWAYS cold). She liked to read, so she always had a book with her. During chemo, she got so sick that anything to snack on eat would make her vomit, but she really liked having gum or a peppermint.
    I knew it could make you sick, but I hadn't even thought of peppermint to help with that. And I know the exact kind of peppermint mints she likes, thank you!