Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Sending game system to ship?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Advice on Sending game system to ship?

Advertisements
    Hey all, so my guy and I were finally able to chat a bit and he let me know some things he needed. One thing he mentioned was a portable gaming device, so I figured I'd get him a Nintendo 3DS and send it to him. I saw in the stickies above that anything above $50 will be likely inspected by customs. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I don't want to outright lie on the forms, but I also don't want to risk him not getting it for an extended period of time or it just flat-out mot arriving. Any advice on what I need to do for that?
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Is he in bootcamp or are you just wanting to send it to his duty station?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He's deployed out on a ship at the moment, so I've read that I'd need to worry about customs and stuff? He does have a US-based address, so I don't know if it would bypass all that.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I wouldn't send expensive stuff tbh. Shit gets lost in the mail or stolen (in the mail or on the ship) and you're out however much it cost to buy it.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I know you don't want to lie but if you do send it and write that it is in the package on the customs form, it could very well be stolen. Either the whole package stolen or the package opened up, it taken out, and then retaped. Therefore, if you send it, I would not write down that it is in there. As sad as it is, there are postal workers and sailors that will and do steal from those care packages.

My husband is currently deployed as well, for the 6th time (the 4th since we've been married). I don't send anything of monetary value and I always write things like food, toiletries, and stationary. As vague and unappealing to open as possible. Nothing eye catching.

That said, do you know about the free flat rate boxes and military care package kits you can get from USPS? Just type that in to google and you go to their website and have the items sent to you. Or you can walk into your local postal office and pick up the boxes and forms for free.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Okay, I guess my next question would be if I don't list is on there and it gets inspected and discovered it isn't declared...what can happen?
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I would have it shipped directly to him from wherever you order as opposed to sending it to you and then you mailing it. It should be covered if it gets lost or stolen that way. My ex bought a 3DS off Amazon while deployed and it got to him with no problems.
    ~Becca~

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffin View Post
    Okay, I guess my next question would be if I don't list is on there and it gets inspected and discovered it isn't declared...what can happen?
    I don't know. But that is why I just don't send anything of value. It just isn't worth the chance to me. That way I can be vague and not outright lie. I just know if you list it, you're gambling on it or the whole package being stolen. It very well could get to him no problem. But that is the chance you're taking.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I would have it shipped directly to him from wherever you order as opposed to sending it to you and then you mailing it. It should be covered if it gets lost or stolen that way. My ex bought a 3DS off Amazon while deployed and it got to him with no problems.
    This. I ordered DHs new Xbox straight from the company to him. We had no issues.
  10. Senior Member
    Not putting it on the customs form is against the law. Technically, you could be heavily fined, at least. Don't do it. You can try to be really vague (entertainment items), but I've had postal workers tell me I needed to be more specific and force me to change the forms.

As far as it being covered by insurance, not really. Basically, the way military mail works is that the USPS sends it to the nearest military mail sorting facility. For the Pacific, for example, it is in CA (near San Fran, I think). At that point, it leaves the USPS system and enters the military system. Unfortunately, that means the USPS is no longer responsible for the package.

I'd probably buy a cheap, older, used system if I was really set on doing this. If it only costs $50, it's less likely to get stolen, and less of a loss if it is.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast