Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Expensive Items

1. Wine-o
    Wine-o

Shipping Expensive Items

Advertisements
    DB bought a new phone and he wants me to send it to him (he had to get it through a friend of ours and it's getting shipped to the friend who is going to give it to me). He said it cost around $400 and I'm worried about sending it to him for fear of it getting stolen and/or disappearing enroute. Is sending stuff like this normally ok? I'd imagine I wouldn't list on the customs form "super expensive phone" lol. Would purchasing extra insurance be worth it? Or is it not worth even sending?
    ~Becca~

2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    TBH, with the new rules about lithium ion batteries, I don't think you'd be able to ship it at all...

hope I'm wrong though.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I can't remember what I sent DH but it was something expensive. It was small enough that I wrapped/tucked it into something else and never got specific on the customs list. I would write snacks, books, small gifts.
  4. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

I looked at the UPS website (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...batteries.html) and I don't think you're allowed to ship cell phones. If you do, it looks like you'll need a hazardous materials shipping form.
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Thanks, I didn't even think about the battery being an issue. I looked it up on USPS and it looks like you can send cell phones, they just have to be packaged a certain way?
    IMM Revision: Outbound Mailing of Lithium Batteries
    ~Becca~

6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Why does he need a $400 phone while deployed?

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    DB bought a new phone and he wants me to send it to him (he had to get it through a friend of ours and it's getting shipped to the friend who is going to give it to me). He said it cost around $400 and I'm worried about sending it to him for fear of it getting stolen and/or disappearing enroute. Is sending stuff like this normally ok? I'd imagine I wouldn't list on the customs form "super expensive phone" lol. Would purchasing extra insurance be worth it? Or is it not worth even sending?
    For customs purposes, you need to list the contents and value of your shipment. I wouldn't lie on a federal form.
  8. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Just wanted to update - I spoke to the USPS and they said in regards to the battery, it just has to be shipped with it installed in the phone.
    ~Becca~

9. Senior Member
    I wouldn't send it. Even if you insure it, my understanding is that once it leaves USPS and enters the military mail system, the insurnace is meaningless. If that's not correct, I'm sure someoen will correct me. But what that means is that it is only insured until it gets to the military sorting facility in CA/NY (or whichever they use for his location).

And despite what people will tell you, don't lie on the customs form. That's a crime if you are found out.

There is no way I would put any high value items in military mail, unless they were absolutely critical.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Just wanted to update - I spoke to the USPS and they said in regards to the battery, it just has to be shipped with it installed in the phone.
    Have him check with his command... cause when DH found out he could use his phone for Sunday calls during basic his PLT sgt said it had to be shipped with the battery separated from the phone.

I'd insure it to play it safe... it's a little more expensive but TOTALLY worth it if it gets lost.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I wouldn't send it. Even if you insure it, my understanding is that once it leaves USPS and enters the military mail system, the insurnace is meaningless. If that's not correct, I'm sure someoen will correct me. But what that means is that it is only insured until it gets to the military sorting facility in CA/NY (or whichever they use for his location).

And despite what people will tell you, don't lie on the customs form. That's a crime if you are found out.

There is no way I would put any high value items in military mail, unless they were absolutely critical.
    Very interesting and worth looking into!

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast