Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: care package help!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

care package help!!

Advertisements
    hey guys!

I have some questions about care packages!!!! I have never sent one before. I don't know what im allowed to put in them or how to ship them. What is allowed to be in them and what isn't? Can you drop them off at a post office or does it have to be at a UPS store? How big/ small can they be? I've only sent letters before, so is it basically the same thing?

My SO is not deployed yet, but he will be soon. I just want to get a feel on care packages before i send my first one i also just adopted a marine soooo i will be sending care packages to him/her also!

Any feedback will defiantly help!!
  2. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by annakay View Post
    hey guys!

I have some questions about care packages!!!! I have never sent one before. I don't know what im allowed to put in them or how to ship them. What is allowed to be in them and what isn't? Can you drop them off at a post office or does it have to be at a UPS store? How big/ small can they be? I've only sent letters before, so is it basically the same thing?

My SO is not deployed yet, but he will be soon. I just want to get a feel on care packages before i send my first one i also just adopted a marine soooo i will be sending care packages to him/her also!

Any feedback will defiantly help!!
    Definitely USPS priority mail not UPS. USPS priority is 3-4 times faster than UPS. If it's cost efficient, the flat rate boxes are a good size.

Don't mail aerosols. The other restrictions will depend on where the SM is. For instance, no pork in the middle east. If the SM is in the middle east, it gets cold in the winter and socks are great. They get tons of candy that just piles up in the common areas, so I never send any.

Mine were usually themed. For instance, for DH's last deployment, he left at the end of October, so his first CP was Thanksgiving themed. It had lots of football movies, cranberry apple butter, turkey jerky, apple pie Larabars, etc.

Pin by Al on deployment underway | Pinterest

Oh, and don't mix toiletries and food. Whenever I sent DH toiletries, it same in a separate package. If you mix, the food tastes like soap: Pin by Al on deployment underway | Pinterest

Ohhhhh and instant foot/hand warmers are excellent! DH loved them, and handed them out to some of his guys who had to stand post at night.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    okayy, thanks a lot!! ohh and how much stuff can you typically fit in one of the boxes?
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by annakay View Post
    okayy, thanks a lot!! ohh and how much stuff can you typically fit in one of the boxes?
    A crap ton I would utilize every square centimeter and treat it like tetris. If you use a flat rate box, you don't have to worry about weight. Just make sure you can get it closed and use a TON of tape

Also, make sure you fill out an international customs form to go with it. Be careful not to be too specific when listing items that others might want to steal.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    okay thanks!!!!!! its gonna be our first deployment and i feel likes the care packages are gonna make it a little more bearable