Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever sewed something for their s/o?

1. Regular Member

Anyone ever sewed something for their s/o?

Advertisements
    I figured this best belonged in the care package subforum. I don't really have a question, I'm just sharing with you guys something I'm making for DB right now .

I've never sewed anything before (I don't count a seam in, say, a shirt coming apart and me repairing it by hand). But I decided I really wanted to make DB a quilt. He's in Afghanistan right now. I started on the quilt project a couple weeks ago because 1) I was super excited about the idea, and 2) I've never sewed anything before so I didn't know how long it would take me. This is entirely self-taught with the help of Google. Not too shabby for my first sewing project! I'm actually making progress a lot faster than I anticipated. I've finished the top layer mostly, except for adding the border. I'm waiting for that fabric in the mail because Joann's didn't have enough of the shade I wanted. The border is gonna be a dark royal blue. I didn't want it to blend into any of the blocks, yet I still wanted it to complement them. There are actually some royal blue stars in the white blocks. The backing is gonna be all dark royal blue as well when I get to it. Right now I'm going back through the top layer and securing all the seams by hand because I didn't do that part right. I just tied them off Oh well, learning as I go!

I also plan on embroidering a message to him somewhere on the back. It's gonna be so awesome when it's all done When I finish it I promised DB's mom I'd show it to her first before I mail it. Then it's just gonna sit on a shelf in my room until later this fall because that's when I originally planned on mailing it.

What do you guys think? The blocks match up perfectly in some places, and the mismatched ones are off by an eighth to a quarter inch at most in other places. But you don't really notice it unless you scrutinize it up close. I think the busy-ness of the pattern distracts the viewer from any minor mistakes. It looks pretty cool!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think that is a really cute idea!! The only things I've ever sewn were any rips DH made in his shirts

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness

AmandaA is my wifey-cakes ~ katebugg07 is my mistress

3. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Your blanket looks really awesome! Great job! I really enjoy sewing but I've never made anything for DH. I am currently working on my first plushie though! I'm making a monkey for Quinn out of DH's ABU top.
  4. Senior Member
    I think it looks great! Congrats on having the patience to make a quilt.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    WOW! It looks great! I'm sure he will love it!

I can sew, but I usually don't . If I am making anything it is usually painting related.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    That looks awesome! I've always wanted to learn how to quilt but haven't gotten around to it yet
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    thats cute! i wanted to make dh a quilt last deployment, but didn't have a sewing machine back home.. so i made him a fleece tie quilt instead! it came out so awesome and he loved it! i wanted to make myself one, but after finishing his, i did NOT want to do it again haha my hands hurt so bad from tying thousands of little ties

8. Regular Member
    Quilt update! I have now completely finished the top layer. I finally got the fabric color I wanted for the border. Now the next step is to assemble the backing with all the same blue color . I also decided I'm gonna put the embroidered message on the backside circling all around the edge. It's gonna be so awesome!

Close up of one of the mitered corners

Completed top layer
  9. Senior Member
    Cute! Good job!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I made a really simple fleece blanket for my husband. But as it was used, several of the seems popped

We still have the blanket, but I have never fixed it lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast