Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Birthday gift ideas when deployed???

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Birthday gift ideas when deployed???

Advertisements
    Hi all! Looking for birthday gift ideas for soldier who is deployed?! I already started a care package with cookies, magazines, etc...and found a website that I'll actually ship a cake! Wanted to send him an IOU if some sort in the package for when he gets home...any ideas?! thank you!
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Where's he deployed to? I don't know that I'd have a cake sent all the way to Afghanistan...

As for other ideas, maybe clothes (socks, etc), sheets, books, games/toys (I sent DH a lego t-rex kit while deployed and he loved it!), teas/hot cocoa, snacks, workout gear...
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    The cake place ships special cakes over seas, and the ship in freeze dried packaging..hope it works out! Thanks for the ideas!
  4. Senior Member
    I always did a cake in a jar so it was my own special thing and I knew it would make it....but very interesting! I always went all out, with confetti in the packaging and pretty much a smaller version of whatever I would buy should he be home (I have done these for ex's, friends, uncles, cousins, my dad...yeah we're pretty MOTO lol)
  5. Southern girl at heart
    Southern girl at heart
    I JUST today found a site that sends crates to APO/FPO address WITH a 10% military discount. It's called mancrates.com and has a bunch of different options for gift "crates".

Our CO got one from his son with 4 personalized beer glasses and coasters. He said it came in a crate with a crow bar...yep...a crow bar to open it!! Such a guy thing.

I am thinking for DH's birthday, the smoker one would be amazing!
    Nicole
    "Sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of courage..."
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

I sent dh a 3ds and some games for his bday.
  7. Regular Member
    I made Cake in a Jar following instructions from a few MilSo blogs. It arrived to DG today (3 days earlier than I thought it would). I was really skeptical about this and kept one for myself to try when she got hers. The cake still tastes great! She loved it. She said she popped one open immediately without even looking for the icing. She is saving the rest to share with some friends on the actual date of her Birthday. I glued birthday paper and message card to the inside of the box and filled it with 9 cakes in a half pint jar, a container of cookies, 2 tubs of icing, forks, napkins, sprinkles, candles, and a card. she loved it! If your SO is the type that likes homemade goods and to be taken care of this is a great idea. I tested a few cake varieties before sending these and would not recommend Pillsbury as it turned out really dry. Duncan Hines moist cake did really well. Also sanitize both your jars and lids (wash then boil jars, heat lids separately). Also a gift card might work depending on what he likes and where he is. I have had great luck with amazon delivering to APOs.

Here are some Links that might help:
    Cake in a Jar | lovingasoldier.com
    Cake in a {Sealed} Jar - Life Love and Sugar

Be sure to use a priority mail flat rate and have it marked for perishable items.
  8. Regular Member
    no idea why but that posted twice, sorry!