Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone sent cake in a jar during the summer months?

1. Regular Member

Confused Has anyone sent cake in a jar during the summer months?

Advertisements
    Hey All,
    I was just wondering if anyone has sent cake in a jar with canned icing during the summer and/or hot months? DG's birthday is coming up and I wanted to send cake in a jar along with some canned icing in her Birthday package. She has said lately that the temp is starting to hit 90-105F during the day so I am a little worried about it surviving the heat. Our average transit time for packages over the last few months has been 8-10 days max. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    I sent cake in a jar during the summer along with the packaged tubs of icing.i would not recommend icing the cakes before mailing them since it will probably just melt and become a big mess. Bake the cakes in the jars and can them and then send a few tubs of the Betty Crocker icing.
  3. Regular Member
    So glad someone else has tried it! I got a few tubs of Betty Crocker but wasn't sure it would hold up in the heat. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. How long did it take to reach your SO?
  4. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

I sent my SO some cake in a jar when he was deployed back in 2012 and it ended up exploding while it was in holding. It was in holding for a month, though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

5. Regular Member
    Exploding?! I guess I can give it a go and if it doesn't work at least I tried? I think I will send cookies with it just incase the cake is a fail. Hopefully it gets there okay.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I sent cake in a jar during the summer along with the packaged tubs of icing.i would not recommend icing the cakes before mailing them since it will probably just melt and become a big mess. Bake the cakes in the jars and can them and then send a few tubs of the Betty Crocker icing.
    Same experience. I sent mine early September with no issues. If I remember correctly, it took about 7-8 days to get out to him in Iraq. Was pretty quick!
  7. Senior Member
    I sent some to Iraq during summer 2008 from DC....super hot on both ends and they did fine. Definitely put icing seperate
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    this is not good idea. In 8-10 days, both ice & cake will be melt down because of hot temp. so send him another care package for his birthday.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    this is not good idea. In 8-10 days, both ice & cake will be melt down because of hot temp. so send him another care package for his birthday.
    I never had an issue with cakes "melting". I doubt cakes can even melt...after all they are baked at 350F and do just fine. I'm pretty sure if they can withstand 350F they can survive 100-120F.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I never had an issue with cakes "melting". I doubt cakes can even melt...after all they are baked at 350F and do just fine. I'm pretty sure if they can withstand 350F they can survive 100-120F.
    This.
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast