Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Icing for Cake in a Jar?

1. Senior Member

Icing for Cake in a Jar?

Advertisements
    I'm wanting to send DH a cake in a jar for his birthday and some icing, but I want to make him the German chocolate cake icing. Has anyone made icing to send before? How well did it hold up and how did you package it?

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    German chocolate cake icing has an egg base. That sounds like it might be tough to send... I've had it go bad on me even keeping it in the fridge in a covered container before
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    That's true. I wonder if there's a shelf stable version that can be made. It's his favorite cake and what really makes it different than a chocolate cake is the icing.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    That's true. I wonder if there's a shelf stable version that can be made. It's his favorite cake and what really makes it different than a chocolate cake is the icing.
    Might have to just send a purchased container. I think there's special additives they use to make it shelf-stable. Definitely not as delicious though Homemade German Chocolate cake frosting is like the best thing ever.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    It is! I made it last year for his birthday and it was so good! I'll have to look around and try to find some store bought icing or maybe look for a similar recipe that would be shelf stable if vacuum sealed.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There's a Duncan Hines/Betty Crocker German Chocolate Cake frosting. It should just be with the rest of the frosting containers.