Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about shipping costly items.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question about shipping costly items.

Advertisements
    Hey all, I have a close friend overseas and he has been having stuff sent to me to forward to him so it's not stuff that I can just hold onto for him 'till he gets back. I managed to fit quite a bit into this CP but am trying to figure out what to list on the shipping form or if I should even list these items.

There are only two items that are costly and they total about $1,000. Along with those two items I have food, (canned, boxed and bagged), magazines and random other bits like morale patches, stickers and warrior coins.

So should I avoid listing these two items and just list everything else? What should I list the morale patches and other like items as so as to not draw any more attention to the package as I know these items, although not valuable, are still at risk of getting stolen; or should I just list the magazines and food and hope it just sails through to him?
  2. Senior Member
    I would probably list "souvenirs" and depending on what the expensive things are, like electronics, I would list them as "toys" and not put the real $$.
  3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

The last CP I sent out, which was last week, the postal clerk said I need to be specific. Shirt was not good enough, it had to be "men's t-shirt". "canned food" wasn't good enough, it had to be "ravioli". I know some post offices are more lenient then others but that was my experience. I would just not list it, to be honest. Keeping in mind, if it's not listed, it's not insured.
  4. Senior Member
    Make sure he really, really wants you to send those items.

Also, I wouldn't at all lie on the customs form, and if anyone is paying attention, you aren't going to get by with things like "gifts". I'd say "Patches", "Stickers" "Food", etc. I doubt those are more likely than anything else to get stolen.

As for the expensive stuff, I think he's crazy for wanting you to send that. Even insurance isn't really going to do much good. But I'd find a way to honestly list them on the form, while downplaying as much as possible.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
    :)
    Blog Entries
    I sent my DH an iPad but it's been a while so I don't remember how I listed it. I honestly would never do it again...I also don't recommend others doing it. The worry of if it's gonna get there was horrible...I was stressed for weeks.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    I sent my DH an iPad but it's been a while so I don't remember how I listed it. I honestly would never do it again...I also don't recommend others doing it. The worry of if it's gonna get there was horrible...I was stressed for weeks.
    I don't think you can ship those anymore anyways...isn't there a battery ban?
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well, the stuff I'm forwarding is actual gear he ordered to use overseas, a Garmin watch that has waypoints, topographical maps, etc. and an NVG mount and accessories. He knows the risks we're just trying to lower those risks as much as possible.

I've shipped him a CP before and was pretty vague with no issues, granted there was nothing of considerable value in it, the whole thing totaled around $50; I was able to list things as snacks, candy and toiletries.
  8. Senior Member
    They want you to be more specific. There is also terminology they don't allow. I sent a package and had 'fingernail file' and had to change it to 'emery board' or I had to take the item out. They also told me I had to list the expensive items but gave me terminology to use, you might ask your post office.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE