Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! New to care packages... and broke!

1. Regular Member

Confused Help! New to care packages... and broke!

Advertisements
    So I had been planning on sending care packages to DB while he's gone...
    And I've been going through some of these threads, but when I looked up flat rate shipping online... I just... was floored.
    I guess it makes sense to be that expensive, but still.
    How much does it generally cost all of you to send yours out? (and the weight could be helpful too, because maybe non-flat rate would be cheaper??)
    I'm in college, no job... so I most definitely would not be able to really afford to send out care packages like I had planned if the USPS quote I'm getting is correct, which is really unfortunate because I remember DB saying he'd be looking forward to getting them.

EDIT: Also... how much does it generally cost to send letters? I'm assuming that would be a bit more feasible than a package would be, if it comes down to it.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    the large flat rate box is $15 for APO/AP.. that can be for any poundage..

so, doing a quick calculate to a germany zip code.. for a 10lb package non-flat rate it would be $40...

a flat rate box with the same poundage will cost $15

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member

Since FPO/APO addresses are technically domestic addresses, letters cost the same as if you were sending them within the united states

4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I think my boxes cost like $12 to send. I called the USPS when DH first deployed and ask for one of the kits, so I just used the largest size box from the kit. They were flat rate. I did send him one giant box that was by weight. I forget how much it weighed...maybe 30lbs? And it was around $70.
  5. Regular Member
    Wow, ok. Wayyyyyy cheaper than the estimate I got. Guess I just put something in wrong.
    Thanks so much y'all!!
  6. Senior Member
    If you are broke, maybe just stick with letters. Nothing wrong with that. If you are broke, your priority should be paying off debt and making sure you have savings, not sending cute boxes to your DB. Any decent guy would understand that logic, if you explained it. And letters will still brighten his day, for much, much cheaper.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    I guess I'm kind of using the term "broke" a little too loosely. I'm not broke in the sense that I seriously have no money, I just wouldn't have had enough *if* it would've cost between $50-70 to send one each time I wanted to. I try to budget myself, and that most definitely wouldn't have fit into my budget. That being said, I still won't be spending too much on it anyway. It just puts my mind at ease knowing it won't cost me wayyyyy more than I'm willing to spend to send a care package.
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Call USPS and ask for a military care kit. There is a forum here with all the details. They'll mail you flat rate boxes, customs forms, tape, and address labels for free. The large flat rate boxes (insured up to $50, and if it fits it ships) cost me $15 to send, and my DB is currently stationed in Italy. It takes a good 3-ish weeks to get there.

As for cheap stuff to put in, try the dollar store or buy things on sale. Ask him what he needs. I send DB gum all the time (he's a gum fiend) and airheads, as well as magazines, mix CDs/USBs, and I sent him a framed photo last month (already had the frame, so I just printed a picture of us).
  9. Senior Member
    awesome info. I'm not broke but my priority is saving money so I have it to spend on traveling to see him!!!! Thanks girlies!!
  10. Regular Member
    I just went through this same thing. I told the guy what I was doing when I went to pick up the box. I guess when I told him my DB was in the army and was in Afghanistan, I failed to mention that it was an APO address, so the guy said it would cost $70. I then spoke to some other people and pieced it together that it doesn't send as International mail, since it is an APO address. So we just mailed our first package and it was only $16.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast