Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Yet another question about shipping something overseas!!

1. Senior Member

Yet another question about shipping something overseas!!

Advertisements
    Hey everyone. So last Friday I shipped my DB some stuff (hes stationed in South Korea). Heís mentioned how its freezing over there so I bought him some under armour stuff and sent it out.(as well as other goodies to keep him warm) When I took it to the post office I used the flat rate box (same ones I used when he was in Afghan). Anyways, I asked the postal employee how long itíd take. He said about 5-10 days. I added some extra time because of MLK day. The postal employee also mentioned it would ship out of here(Texas) to California and from there to South Korea. I was tracking it and itís saying itís in Chicago?! (Departed Chicago today). Does anyone how it works? Where packages go and the stops they make?

Im just worried this might get lost and as some of you know, under armour isnít exactly cheap so Iíd hate for it to get lost and my DB doesnít get it and I lost money pretty much : (
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Mail doesn't always get scanned when it should. We've had stuff show up that never "left" the shipping point! LOL!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    is his address an FPO or an APO address- this will determine where it will ship out of.
  4. Senior Member
    OUr APO mail leaves from NY or NJ, yet it often makes stops in other places in the States along with way. Nothing to worry about yet, at all.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Banned
    Banned
    correct me if I am wrong--- FPO goes out of west coast and APO goes out of East coast right?

the FPO/APO mail has to go thru one of those terminals before it can get shipped to the Overseas location.

I remember back in the day it would take 3-5 weeks for it to get thru - sending cookies back them was hard
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    correct me if I am wrong--- FPO goes out of west coast and APO goes out of East coast right?

the FPO/APO mail has to go thru one of those terminals before it can get shipped to the Overseas location.

I remember back in the day it would take 3-5 weeks for it to get thru - sending cookies back them was hard
    This is how it worked for us. When we were FPO, our mail went through CA (I think it was San Francisco, but I wouldn't swear to that), and our APO goes through NY or NJ. But it can make stops along the way in the States before making it to the APO/FPO processing center.

And it definitely still take 3-5 weeks, or more, on occasion. I ordered something at Thanksgiving and it didn't make it here until about a week into January. Typically it is about 10-14 days (USPS priority), but it's not unheard of for it to be a month+ for us, even when it's not Christmastime.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    My experience so far has been that it takes FOREVER for something to get there, and the tracking seems unreliable. I sent a package to Italy about a month ago and it still hasn't gotten there. DB checks every day. What bugs me about USPS is that you can't track it once it leaves the US.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labruce View Post
    My experience so far has been that it takes FOREVER for something to get there, and the tracking seems unreliable. I sent a package to Italy about a month ago and it still hasn't gotten there. DB checks every day. What bugs me about USPS is that you can't track it once it leaves the US.
    That's actually not the USPS's fault. Once it is turned over to the military at the sorting facility, the USPS has delivered it. That's why you can pay domestic rates--because they USPS is only delivering domestically. It's like them delivery a package to your mom's house, and then your mom putting the package in the car and driving it to your house. USPS can't track it in your mom's car. They just know they got it to your mom, which is all that was expected of them. Only instead of your mom, it's the military.
  9. Senior Member
    I tracked it today and it says its arrived at the military post office (its already Monday over there). Problem is, hes out in field training so he's not going to pick it up right away
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    That's actually not the USPS's fault. Once it is turned over to the military at the sorting facility, the USPS has delivered it. That's why you can pay domestic rates--because they USPS is only delivering domestically. It's like them delivery a package to your mom's house, and then your mom putting the package in the car and driving it to your house. USPS can't track it in your mom's car. They just know they got it to your mom, which is all that was expected of them. Only instead of your mom, it's the military.
    Good analogy. Thanks. Now we just need to get the military on board with care package tracking.