Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can I Send This Or Not?

1. Senior Member

Can I Send This Or Not?

Advertisements
    So one of my friends makes amazing gift baskets that are especially made for guys. There’s one she makes that I’d love to send my DB for Valentines Day. But problem is this lil gift basket has cigars and two boxes of cigarettes. I read that you cannot send tobacco overseas BUT I also read you can send it to military (when you use the flat rate box). Yes I am aware that my DB can get cigarettes over there but this gift basket happens to be something I like for him because it fits his personality so well.

Does anyone know? Need to make sure I can send it before I buy it (It would be for V-day)

PS: I should add my DB is stationed in South Korea

Thanks in advance everyone
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if you can specifically send it. I am assuming so since one of those companies that sends care packages to the troops sent my husband a box of 50 cigars. However my husband was on a carrier in the ocean so I am not sure if that matters at all.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Senior Member
    No cigarettes. Per the USPS

Cigarettes & Smokeless Tobacco – With few exceptions, cigarettes and smokeless tobacco shipments cannot be mailed.
    See tobacco restrictions and guidelines ›
    USPS rules always apply to anything sent through the post office, whether flat rate box or not. Sometimes locations have other rules that are more restrictive, but if the USPS won't mail it, you can't get around that.

For cigars, it says,
    Cigars are still mailable domestically, as well as internationally, unless prohibited by the destination country.
    So then you'd have to see if those are allowed for where he is, but cigarettes is a no-go.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I don't know if you can specifically send it. I am assuming so since one of those companies that sends care packages to the troops sent my husband a box of 50 cigars. However my husband was on a carrier in the ocean so I am not sure if that matters at all.
    I read that cigars are ok but cigarettes are not allowed that’s why Im a bit confused since they both have tobacco
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I heard before that you couldn't but I don't remember where I read it so I could be wrong.

Personally though I think it would be easier to just ask your friend to leave out the tobacco when she makes the gift basket? Maybe she could replace it with something else instead?
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    No cigarettes. Per the USPS

USPS rules always apply to anything sent through the post office, whether flat rate box or not. Sometimes locations have other rules that are more restrictive, but if the USPS won't mail it, you can't get around that.

For cigars, it says, So then you'd have to see if those are allowed for where he is, but cigarettes is a no-go.
    Well, there ya go.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adnama10 View Post
    I read that cigars are ok but cigarettes are not allowed that’s why Im a bit confused since they both have tobacco
    Tax issues. States tax cigarettes tremendously. Just like transporting alcohol over state lines. Not allowed, because one state will whine that it didn't get paid its own sin tax.

Cigars are taxed differently.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've never had an issue sending cigars and my husband ordered some through a website and they delivered them as well.

I'm no help on cigarettes, I never tried to mail those.
  9. Senior Member
    I mailed lots of cigarettes. Lots. They had special bags for them and a separate customs form but it was definitely allowed. The last package I sent was in October.