Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending expensive items overseas...opinions/experience?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sending expensive items overseas...opinions/experience?

Advertisements
    My boyfriend is currently deployed to Afghanistan. He wants me to send him his new PS3 with games and his guitar so that he has something to do on his free time. I want to make him as happy and comfortable as possible while over there but im having a hard time bringing myself to sending these items. Im worried that they would get damaged during transit or worse: lost. Truthfully, I would be a little upset if something happened to the PS3 but I would be completely devastated if something happened to his guitar!

Has anyone else shipped their SO any expensive packages while deployed? Or any history shipping any packages and they arrive damaged or tampered with?

I could send the PS3 but it will take some serious reassurance to part with the guitar for that trip. (<- As i typed that I realized I may be more worried about the guitar than my boyfriend.. haha! jk! )
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by foodsourcebob View Post
    My boyfriend is currently deployed to Afghanistan. He wants me to send him his new PS3 with games and his guitar so that he has something to do on his free time. I want to make him as happy and comfortable as possible while over there but im having a hard time bringing myself to sending these items. Im worried that they would get damaged during transit or worse: lost. Truthfully, I would be a little upset if something happened to the PS3 but I would be completely devastated if something happened to his guitar!

Has anyone else shipped their SO any expensive packages while deployed? Or any history shipping any packages and they arrive damaged or tampered with?

I could send the PS3 but it will take some serious reassurance to part with the guitar for that trip. (<- As i typed that I realized I may be more worried about the guitar than my boyfriend.. haha! jk! )

Well, the way I see it, they are his PS3 and guitar and he is the one asking you to send them - so he is apparently more than willing to accept the risk of damage/loss in transit so
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Send it registered/insured. It will cost more and still won't guarantee that it won't get damaged, but if it does, at least you can file a claim. It's his guitar, if he wants it, send it.
  4. Senior Member
    Yes, just get insurance. It will probably cost a ton to ship a guitar though, due to the shape and size.

I am overseas and packages do arrived damaged somewhat regularly. They are dented, crushed, torn open, wet, etc. occasionally. But since it is his stuff, it's his call.

Just curious--why would you be completely devastated if *his* guitar was lost or broken?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Things get stolen in Afghanistan during processing…. just putting that out there. It's completely up to him. But you should know that even if you insure it, if it's lost, stolen, or damaged after it leaves USPS hands and enters military hands, they aren't going to do anything about it. The USPS does not deliver it straight to him.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes, just get insurance. It will probably cost a ton to ship a guitar though, due to the shape and size.

I am overseas and packages do arrived damaged somewhat regularly. They are dented, crushed, torn open, wet, etc. occasionally. But since it is his stuff, it's his call.

Just curious--why would you be completely devastated if *his* guitar was lost or broken?
    I know its his stuff so I shouldnt be worried about it if he's not. But I probably love his guitar more than he does, therefore I may be a bit overprotective of it. lol! Mostly because Im completely awed by his talent to play and create beautiful music , whereas I lack any sort of rythmic ability whatsoever. lol
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    Things get stolen in Afghanistan during processing…. just putting that out there. It's completely up to him. But you should know that even if you insure it, if it's lost, stolen, or damaged after it leaves USPS hands and enters military hands, they aren't going to do anything about it. The USPS does not deliver it straight to him.
    This is a good point. I sent DH a box of jerky while he was deployed (on a Navy ship) and it was stolen. If the customs label says something yummy/expensive, there's a very big chance it could get stolen.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    This is a good point. I sent DH a box of jerky while he was deployed (on a Navy ship) and it was stolen. If the customs label says something yummy/expensive, there's a very big chance it could get stolen.
    DH had to buy some expensive new combat sunglasses while he was deployed. He never got them. He was so mad and said "some @!$#&$!# Lance Corporal is probably walking around Camp Leatherneck in my sunglasses right now."
  9. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I was bad and never put something was expensive. I just (per DH's suggestion) stuck it in the box in the middle and didn't draw attention to it. He said if something happened and he didn't get it, he'd just replace it himself but his logic is that it was more likely to make it to him if there wasn't a big LOOK AT THIS EXPENSIVE ITEM INSIDE ME label on the box

If he's asking you to send it, send it. He knows the risk and still wants it
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would also buy one of those plastic foot lockers from walmart or home depot, $20-30, if the guitar fit in it, in order to protect it better.
    As for sending it registered insured, I wouldn't waste the money. USPS' liability is done once it is delivered to the military post office, Conus. Tracking is virtually impossible after that, and there is no insurance that I know of that will cover it base to him. Which it is where it is most likely to disappear.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast