Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tracking it online

1. Regular Member

Tracking it online

Advertisements
    Okay, I know other people have asked similar questions before, but...oh well.

I sent a package last Wednesday, so it's been a week. I know that it won't get there that quickly, especially what with it being the holiday season. But I have the tracking number and I was curious last week when I sent it, so I looked it up last Thursday and again today, just to see the change. There was none. But I'm wondering...I live in Pensacola, FL, which is SURROUNDED by both naval and AF bases. The tracking thing said it departed from the sorting facility in Pensacola last Wednesday (Dec 4) in the evening. Because it's in Pensacola, I'm wondering if that means it actually was put on a military plane or something and was sent over already? And if that is why it hasn't been updated since then. My understanding of this tracking care packages process is that once the package gets to a military plane/base/station/post office/whatever (I'm confused lol) you really don't get any more updates until it arrives wherever it's going.

Do you think that is the case for mine now? Since it departed last Wednesday and I haven't gotten an update of it being in another city, that is what I'm assuming is going on.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Did you send it USPS? I have found that sending it USPS, tracking information will often not even be available until the package has been delivered. And then it will say delivered.
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I would think it's in military hands by now. When I sent stuff to an FPO, it would make it to NJ and then disappear. 2 weeks later DH would tell me he got it
  4. Senior Member
    The way it works is that USPS delivers all packages to the sorting facility for that area. So for people in Asia, stuff goes through CA. I forget what city. That's why those bases have a CA zip code. For Germany, they go to New York. It doesn't matter whether you mail it from a post office next door to a Navy base. It will go to the sorting facility. From there, the USPS is done with it (which is why you only have to pay domestic postage--because for USPS, it is domestic delivery). The military takes it the rest of the way, and tracking doesn't really work for that portion of it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    The way it works is that USPS delivers all packages to the sorting facility for that area. So for people in Asia, stuff goes through CA. I forget what city. That's why those bases have a CA zip code. For Germany, they go to New York. It doesn't matter whether you mail it from a post office next door to a Navy base. It will go to the sorting facility. From there, the USPS is done with it (which is why you only have to pay domestic postage--because for USPS, it is domestic delivery). The military takes it the rest of the way, and tracking doesn't really work for that portion of it.
    Oooh. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it, and helping out everyone!