Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Erm...What should I do?

1. Regular Member

Erm...What should I do?

Advertisements
    I was dating a guy who was just deployed a few weeks ago. We'd only been dating for a couple of weeks so never decided what we are---we're not "together," but at the same time he's hinted that he'd like to be, if not now than when he gets back come spring. Anyway! Before he left he told me that I should write him letters, and then gave me his mailing address. My issue is this...

Wtf do I write?! Lol. Since we're not "together" I'm just drawing a blank. I know I want to send him a little care package of some candies he mentioned he liked, but can never find. But because he also wanted letters, I do want to send him one. I just have no idea what to write in it. We "text" online when he has the time to, and once he's more stable we plan on skyping. So the basic "how are you"s are covered. I don't want to be too superficial but I also don't want to be too...personal, I guess? Since I'm not sure what we are or where we stand.

Any suggestions?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I like getting DH funny cards... or send him some comics or a funny joke or something. I dunno if he likes it or not, but it's what he gets Just something different to break up their normal routine.

Someone else might have a better idea... Good luck, Hope you figure something out!
  3. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    funny cards are good also use this time as getting to know you time. Casually talk about stuff that you think he'd like to know about you. Anything you did that was out of the ordinary. Most of them don't really care what you write they just love reading letters. Favorite lyrics, things that made you think of him, etc. Also, I had a similar problem while my ex was deployed and I just asked him. It was funny cuz he came up with a format for us to write back and forth. We could write whatever we wanted but if we ran out of things to talk about we resorted to those questions for inspiration. Stuff like whats a life aspiration (this can be anything from a bucket list item to your real life goals as you get to know each other better) Stuff like that was fun to think about and let him know me better as well as it is something that will always have you coming up with something new

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  4. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Well, since you guys are able to communicate, and are newly "dating", maybe just ask some more intimate "get to know you" questions. Things that you don't typically get the answers to in casual conversation, or things that you would otherwise be to embarrassed to ask because of the cliche' nature or what not of the question?
    Things he hopes to get out of deployment, what he looks forward to when he comes home, things he misses and things he is glad he doesn't have to deal with.

Whatever you want him to know, or want to know about him that aren't going to or seeming to come up in your usual conversations.

be cool.
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone! Your suggestions have all helped a lot. I have a few ideas now, and I did just send him a message asking if he had anything in particular he'd like me to write about. Hopefully whatever I end up writing he'll like!