Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning for care package

1. Regular Member

Help Canning for care package

Advertisements
    I want to send my SO some spaghetti, chili, fruit and stuff while he is deployed so he can have some home cooked meals. My question is if they have a policy on canned goods or much you can send at one time? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope. But you are talking about actual cans, not home-canning right?
    The only limit is weight. And I found the flat rate boxes can hold LOTS of cans! I think they now put a 25 pound weight limit on the boxes though, but still a great bargain. And dont forget a can opener!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Regular Member
    I'm talking about home canning
  4. Senior Member
    Are you asking about glass jar type or cans from a grocery store? Does he have a way to heat it?
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Senior Member
    Home canning would be tough because those packages can be handle pretty rough and I would think that it would be tough to wrap them well enough not to be broken. And the canning lid could pop from the rough handling.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  6. Regular Member
    I'm talking about glass jars. home canning. He will have a microwave when he is.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would avoid sending home-canning items because of the severe pressure and tempature changes, and it is never a great idea to send glass. Also the extra weight makes it very expensive to ship.
    And...if you are not experienced in home canning, results can be baaaaaad. (I don't know if you are or aren't, just putting it out there.)
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Regular Member
    I was planning to pad it with foam. I guess I'll try just a few jars to see how it goes. Them send the rest last if it goes well.
  9. Senior Member
    I sent DH canned pies, cakes, and breads. I never attempted actual foods since it takes so long to get over there. I just don't know if the food would keep well

But if you want to do cakes or anything then you just wash the jars, bake the cakes directly in the jars, sterilize the lids, and then secure the lids on as soon as you take the jars out of the oven

And the jars are very sturdy...I never had a single one break
  10. Regular Member
    I am experienced. His grandmother and I send things back and forth all the time. Just have never done it overseas. I guess I'll have to wait hand talk to him about it. I know that was one of the things he was looking forward to. If it can't happen he can just deal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast