Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cake in a jar

1. Senior Member

Cake in a jar

Advertisements
    I"m sure people have asked this before but does anyone have a link or a step by step process for doing cake in a jar? My man's birthday is rapidly approaching and I would really like to do this for him. But I want to practice once before I send it to him.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    All you need is regular cake mix! Make the mix...

Spray the inside of the jars with canola oil (after they are cleaned and dried)

Scoop batter to fill about 1/4 to 1/3 of the jar (it looks like a tiny bit - but it will fluff up all the way to the top!)

Place jars on a baking sheet, in the oven (make sure they are in the middle of the oven - not too high or low to the heat) at the baking instructions set on package for individual cupcakes + a couple minutes (when you press the center of the cake and it springs back, they are done! And don't worry if they are under-cooked a little - when you seal them with the lids, they will continue to cook a little because of the heat in the jar)

Remove from the over, and place the lids and the rings rights away - tighten (do not over tighten). Within a minute or two you will hear all the seals pop!

And you're done =)

I did this and send 10 canning jars to DF for his birthday while he was deployed to Iraq. They were a huge hit! I also sent icing, sprinkles, forks, plates, napkins and, of course, candles
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    All you need is regular cake mix! Make the mix...

Spray the inside of the jars with canola oil (after they are cleaned and dried)

Scoop batter to fill about 1/4 to 1/3 of the jar (it looks like a tiny bit - but it will fluff up all the way to the top!)

Place jars on a baking sheet, in the oven (make sure they are in the middle of the oven - not too high or low to the heat) at the baking instructions set on package for individual cupcakes + a couple minutes (when you press the center of the cake and it springs back, they are done! And don't worry if they are under-cooked a little - when you seal them with the lids, they will continue to cook a little because of the heat in the jar)

Remove from the over, and place the lids and the rings rights away - tighten (do not over tighten). Within a minute or two you will hear all the seals pop!

And you're done =)

I did this and send 10 canning jars to DF for his birthday while he was deployed to Iraq. They were a huge hit! I also sent icing, sprinkles, forks, plates, napkins and, of course, candles
    Thank you sooooo much! One quick question: Sometimes I see pictures on pintrest and stuff with the icing in the jar is that a bad idea, will the jar not seal this way?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tryintobepatient View Post
    Thank you sooooo much! One quick question: Sometimes I see pictures on pintrest and stuff with the icing in the jar is that a bad idea, will the jar not seal this way?
    You have to seal the jars while they are hot or it won't pop the seal. So putting the icing in while they are hot would just melt it. Just easier to put a tub of icing in the box instead of icing them.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    You have to seal the jars while they are hot or it won't pop the seal. So putting the icing in while they are hot would just melt it. Just easier to put a tub of icing in the box instead of icing them.
    Thanks for the tip I can't wait to try it once before I send it! Thanks ladies I hope he likes it!
  6. Regular Member
    This sounds AMAZING. I never thought of sending cake in a jar!!
  7. Regular Member
    DB has got such a sweet tooth, I'm so excited about this! Since he's only at IBOLC and he's free to come and go as he pleases, I've been racking my brain trying to think of creative things to send since any normal thing that he wants/needs he can just get himself! I'm thinking that I might try sending a new cake flavor each week for a little taste of home! Thanks for the idea!
  8. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I did cake in a jar, pumpkin pie in a jar, and peach cobbler in a jar. The guys said I was the best wife ever.
  9. Senior Member
    There are tons of recipes for things in a jar online. Db says the guys really like it as a lot them don't get goodies in their packages so he shares. I think sometimes the container of frosting is the best part.
  10. Regular Member
    I'm thinking I need to explore the s'more in a jar option somehow...