Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sending baked goods and homemade food to DH's ship...?

1. Senior Member

Sending baked goods and homemade food to DH's ship...?

Advertisements
    I want to include food with DH's care package, but I'm not sure what will last during shipping and what won't.

I was thinking of doing pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for fall, but I read that soft foods like that could get moldy. Has anyone tried sending pumpkin cookies before? I was thinking maybe I could just use pumpkin spice as a substitute.

He also said he's already sick of ship food, so I thought I could try to send him some homemade meals, but I have no idea what I could possibly send that would last. Has anyone ever sent food like that? I can't even think of anything that would work.
  2. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered doing any of the pie in a jar ideas?
  3. Senior Member
    No, but that's a good idea!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    I want to include food with DH's care package, but I'm not sure what will last during shipping and what won't.

I was thinking of doing pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for fall, but I read that soft foods like that could get moldy. Has anyone tried sending pumpkin cookies before? I was thinking maybe I could just use pumpkin spice as a substitute.

He also said he's already sick of ship food, so I thought I could try to send him some homemade meals, but I have no idea what I could possibly send that would last. Has anyone ever sent food like that? I can't even think of anything that would work.
    I send DF canned food. He loves fish, so I send him canned anchovies, tuna, & sardines. I also send him pistachios & sunflower seeds. In the last care package, I sent him instant miso soup & he loved them. The next one will have canned chili & instant asian noodles (not ramen, some other fancy kind). I've sent shelf stable tofu & different kinds of soups in those soft packets/cartons. I don't dare to send him homemade meals, I'm sure they'd be bad by the time it gets to him.
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belovedreamery View Post
    I send DF canned food. He loves fish, so I send him canned anchovies, tuna, & sardines. I also send him pistachios & sunflower seeds. In the last care package, I sent him instant miso soup & he loved them. The next one will have canned chili & instant asian noodles (not ramen, some other fancy kind). I've sent shelf stable tofu & different kinds of soups in those soft packets/cartons. I don't dare to send him homemade meals, I'm sure they'd be bad by the time it gets to him.
    Ooooh we both love miso soup. Is that usually available in most grocery stores? I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked for it.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    Ooooh we both love miso soup. Is that usually available in most grocery stores? I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked for it.
    I found it in Walmart, asian aisle. It's usually around the wasabi peas, seaweed snacks section.
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Okay, so I sent DH cookies on his ship several times and here's what I did-- I wrapped groups of about 3 in saran wrap very tightly (like 2-3 layers?), then a ziploc baggy around that, then I took the ziploc baggies, crammed them all together (not so tightly that it would hurt the cookies, but tightly enough that there wasn't space to move around and jostle/crumble), then wrapped them in bubble wrap and tightly taped around the entire thing with clear packing tape. I know it sounds excessive But the cookies arrived PERFECT-- not a single crumbled, dry, moldy, or otherwise less than perfect cookie And they were fresh and moist for a good week or two after they got there. Care packages don't cost too much to send, so the extra space that my method took wasn't an issue for me-- I'll do it again this coming deployment.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Senior Member
    I don't know how long it takes to get to a ship but I send cookies all the time and they arrive just fine. I put two dozen in a gallon sized ziplock and suck the air out with a straw. They take about a week to ten days. homemade bread has made it, too.